Respected Contributor

Re: 🌭National Hot Dog Day..with a twist!🌿

@Nightowlz wrote:

What about Lab Grown Meat they have been working on?

That sounds so sci-fi gross to me!  Yikes I get the chills just thinking about it!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

That sounds so sci-fi gross to me!  Yikes I get the chills just thinking about it!

Don’t know who their target audience would be...

maybe for institutional nutrition? 

Honored Contributor

I've made carrot dogs and as long as you pay attention to a few prep things they are really tasty!

No. 1 - the marinade. - a good one is posted by OP

No. 2 - the cook time - they must be cooked for the exact right amount of time (which varies from carrot to carrot because of the inconsistency in circumference) - it's trial and error.  Undercooked do not cut it!  And overcooked don't either!

Regarding the complaints (why would anyone complain about this?) that vegans call them "hot dogs", I would just say 1) they actually call them "carrot dogs" and 2) Hot Dog does not specify "meat" in the name, well, unless you're actually eating dog meat (a horrid and repulsive idea, of course).  Same for "Burger" - it's not a meat specific name.  Anything can be made into a burger.

So yay to a well done carrot dog, but a big NAY to the Impossible and Beyond Burgers which are full of oil and not at all healthy.

BUT if someone doesn't eat meat (and vegans don't for ethical reasons - or they aren't vegans - and is there something wrong with ethics surrounding animals?) and they still would like a non-meat product to taste like it, what is the problem with that?

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

BUT if someone doesn't eat meat (and vegans don't for ethical reasons - or they aren't vegans - and is there something wrong with ethics surrounding animals?) and they still would like a non-meat product to taste like it, what is the problem with that?

I agree. I think most people are not raised vegan and grow up on meat.  Then later in life they decide to go vegan and would like some familiar flavors so there comes in the meat like substitutes. Makes sense to me. I'm sure some vegans don't want that but some I know do enjoy the products. I also think the EU ban on using the words burgers, sausage, etc on vegan products is a little silly.  It's not like these things were just invented and nobody knows about them!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Don’t know who their target audience would be...

maybe for institutional nutrition? 

@Grouchomarx @sidsmom 

DH told me about it the other day. Sure enough if you Google lab grown meat it's true.

Sure, it’s less catchy, but it’s also what many believe to be the future: the mass production of lab-grown meat that requires the killing of zero animals before it lands on your grill. It’s not just something that appeals to animal lovers, either. Lab-grown meat could, its proponents suggest, help the environment, while also producing significantly less food waste in the process.

They also have lab grown ice cream.

I also saw something called Cultured Meat produced by in vitro cultivation of animal cells, instead of from slaughtered animals. 

lab grown meat.PNG

Honored Contributor

Yea @sidsmom ....I'm so glad you posted this so I don't have to cringe and be reminded of  the horrific treatment of intelligent sentient animals.  If people took a look at the films of how these animals suffer or understood the consequences of clogging their arteries with fat they would gladly gobble down carrot hot dogs.  The world is becoming smarter and more aware, much gratefulness for that.  Thank you Sids for supporting a healthier and nonviolent alternative.Heart  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee  @ValuSkr  Thank you for your willingness and open heart.  The carrot dogs are yummy and healthier than the alternative. Add all the fixens to any dog you prepare and I think you will discover a winner....I chop onions, add the trader joe's sauerkraut, mustard and no one will regret not participating in a nonviolent alternative.  My first choice is always to choose the healthier choice (try Sid's recipe and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised) as well as supporting an ethical lifestyle. Smiley Wink 

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would try a vegan dog. I've tried other vegan 'meat' things before so why not a fake hot dog? It might taste good.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Get ready for a wave of new vegan 'meat' things coming down the pike soon. The trend is off and running, like it or not. The guy who did the 'Impossible Burger' for Burger King is launching his new product line with all-vegan ingredients this fall to be sold in grocery stores. Several other companies are already in the stores, for example Beyond Meat and MorningStar to name a few. 

I don't eat meat (not because of health concerns), but, I rarely eat packaged vegan/vegetarian products. Most of them are so processed and contain this-isolate, that-isolate, etc.  If anyone eats vegan/vegetarian for health reasons,  they're kidding themselves with these kinds of products. 

As for the carrot-dog, my main problems are the sugar and salt. Not for me. Otherwise, why not? 

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Don't really understand the idea of making something "taste like meat"  Either eat meat or don't, your choice.  No one is trying to make pork taste like broccoli.

Ethical, not health reasons. Some people like the taste of meat but not wanting to eat an animal. Personally, I don't like the taste of meat at all, so I don't want anything to taste like it. 

Honored Contributor

@ILTH   The last thing I want is for anything to remind me that I'm eating an animal.  Rarely interested in processed food (unhealthy) never anything that smells or tastes like animal.  On the other hand, I understand that people move at their own pace and sometimes these processed/imitation foods help them transition to a healthier and more ethical way of life.  I support them in their efforts.  Some of us move in baby steps and others giant leaps. Either way, it is the movement that is important.  Love your perspective Heart