Honored Contributor

Re: 🌭National Hot Dog Day..with a twist!🌿

@sidsmom ,

I buy vegan breakfast sausages made by MorningStar and they are actually pretty good. They also make them in patties and spicy ones, too. My next vegan 'meat' thing on the list is made by Beyond Meat...problem is, it's always sold out where I shop. Business is booming!

Esteemed Contributor

Don't really understand the idea of making something "taste like meat"  Either eat meat or don't, your choice.  No one is trying to make pork taste like broccoli.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sidsmom ,

I buy vegan breakfast sausages made by MorningStar and they are actually pretty good. They also make them in patties and spicy ones, too. My next vegan 'meat' thing on the list is made by Beyond Meat...problem is, it's always sold out where I shop. Business is booming!

@SilleeMee 

Unless it’s a different Morningstar line, most of their items are

vegetarian & have egg/milk in their products.  I found that out

the hard way. My stomach would hurt after eating the

spicy buffalo wings...and tied it back to the egg/milk. 

Just a FYI...I’ve heard they are in the process of changing to vegan.

The term ‘vegetarian’ is almostnout-dated at this point!

Report back (on the PB News thread) when you try the

Beyond Meat product. Anxious to get your opinion.

Honored Contributor

I love most veggies and especially carrots, so I would eat that "carrot dog" sans the bun.

I really don't like processed foods....plant based or not, so a fake hot dog or a real hot dog along with those fake veggie burgers do not appeal to me.

i

Respected Contributor

Yup, I would try one.

I really like the Morningstar Veggie Dogs.  To me, they are tasty and yes, I do top them with sauerkraut, mustard and relish.

Respected Contributor

Years ago I was very into the Morningstar farms stuff and Boca burgers. It all tastes pretty good IMO. I used to put it in front of my cat and she would sniff and sniff it but never eat it!  It was so funny. I don't understand the impossible burgers, it's really not healthy so what's the point?  Most of the veggie products are actually good for you, that one sounds like it's as bad as meat practically.  I get that it tastes good supposedly.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I don't know how full you could get eating one carrot on a bun!  LOL

@Grouchomarx 

I would say you would get full. I like to eat organic carrots alone & they are filling. I love they are so crunchy.

Honored Contributor

What about Lab Grown Meat they have been working on?

Respected Contributor

Morning Star used to make the most delicious lentil loaf. I was so sorry when they stopped making it.

Vegetables are my favorite food group but a carrot hot dog just doesn’t do it for me. Not too fond of regular hot dogs either.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

That's not a hot dog.

I wish people that eat vegan would stop calling the vegan version by the real name.

The EU is going to ban using the word burger to sell a veggie burger.  They're might call it a disc.  They also can't use the words steak or sausage when describing veggie/vegan products.

@CelticCrafter@CelticCrafter  I agree, this false naming is getting ridiculous.

Just because the cat has her kittens in the oven don’t make them biscuits.

It is beyond me, why anyone who eats vegan, vegetarian, plant-based or whatever term is/will be the term du jour for not eating meat would want to try to call these types of faux-foods by a name associated with meat.  These false names are wrong.  

“Creative”?  Not really.  Copying the name of other foods and attempting to copy the flavour is not creative.  (As a lover of carrots, I think this is just ruining the carrots!) 

Why the need to try to make vegetables taste like meat products?  If the plant based diets are so wonderful and so tasty, it seems like one would not want nor need to attempt to recreate taste and style of the meat or dairy foods. 

So flavour the carrot with liquid smoke, put it in a bun with the usual condiments - it doesn’t make a hot dog.