Honored Contributor

Re: National Forests Closing

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Kachina624  Well the train didn't run for 3 days.  I just read online it started running again today.  I hope they know what they're doing...DW

@dancingwoman    I heard on the news last night the train was running again, some convoluted story about the lawsuit resulting from the last fire they were accused of starting.  It wasn't clear what the connection was.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

My SIL just returned from a wedding in NM. I mentioned I was worried about the wedding being held outside. She said there was some haze, but outherwise, the weather was great.

@AuntG    Yes, there's not a lot of concern about outside affairs being rained out.  Weather has been nice until this week when it got HOT.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sophiesofers    Yes, she was caught and is in jail.  Actually, it was 12 fires she started yesterday.  She also resisted arrest and assaulted an officer.

@ECBG 

@Kachina624 

Good for them!!!  I hope they throw the book at her!!!

Honored Contributor

@On It    I wondered if you and dh had headed over to Ruidoso when you didn't post for several days.  Your fire report is truly horrible.  I'm not familiar enough with the residential areas to be able to relate to the areas of which you speak but am so glad your home was spared.

Drought weakens pinon trees and makes them susceptible to attack by the bark beetle that has killed so many of them.  All of  that were in my neighborhood are now gone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Duckncover wrote:

I have been so dismayed to read that the fires in NM still seem to be doing so much damage...I hope where you live is not close to the fires. Our weatherman yesterday said to expect smoky winds from the fires in NM to blow all the way into the DFW area from West Texas...sure enough, it is so hot and dry now, the smoky haze arrived. 

@Duckncover 

And if that wasn't enough Texas is being impacted by the Saharan Dust------by SBG San Antonio Staff Reports

Tuesday, May 17th 2022

The infamous Saharan dust cloud is headed for Texas this weekend.  The dust cloud is traveling slowly across the Atlantic Ocean and should hit Southeast Texas on Sunday morning. 😲😞😟

The dust cloud can, at times, become quite massive. According to NASA, the 2020 dust storm was nicknamed Godzilla because it was so big that astronauts on the International Space Station could see it.

Most of the dust particles will stay suspended thousands of feet above the ground, which is why it will give a grayish tint to the sky. The dust can irritate people’s eyes, ears, noses, and throats with fine particles of silica and other minerals that can infiltrate lung tissue, aggravate sensitivities, and reduce visibility.

The dust cloud is also famous for creating some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets as light bounces off the dust particles, tapping all of the color spectrum.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624    Thank you, I am glad she was arrested and is in jail.  She sounds like a real nut job.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 The Lincoln National Forest has been closed. They finally added it to the list. Thank goodness! It is one spark away from erupting all over again. The Village of Ruidoso has raised its precautions to Level 3. No outside smoking, no chain saws, no welding, no paving, no charcoal or wood grilling, among other restrictions.

I am very concerned about the tourists who are oblivious to the level of danger.  This will keep them in town instead of getting into the backwoods and starting a fire like last year.

The fires in Northern New Mexico are mind numbing. I have never seen such ongoing destruction. I hope the monsoons come early and are plentiful. The people have lost their homes, their jobs, and I fear many are permanently displaced. We can only hope there are enough resources out there to help all who need it. 

Honored Contributor

@On It    We don't dare raise our expectations for a bountiful monsoon after last year, but it would indeed be nice.

I'm getting a strong clue as to why the Anasazi left places like Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde and a thousand other small communities and established a Puebloan culture close to a river.