Respected Contributor

My daughter, in 10th grade, just received an invitation to join her high school's chapter of the National Beta Club.  I read a little about it:  maintaing a certain GPA, attend meetings, volunteer hours....is this really worth doing?  Does it help her on her college transcript?  Any experiences?

Honored Contributor

Re: National Beta Club

[ Edited ]

I would think that any club that is based on scholarship and community service is a good entry on an application.  I included my membership in the National Honor Society when applying to universities.  I can't vouch for it's influence, but I was accepted to my college of choice.  Best of luck to your daughter.

Trusted Contributor

Re: National Beta Club

[ Edited ]

I was a sponsor of Beta Club when I was teaching....enjoyed it. It is good to add to a college resume', but more importantly, it involved the students in many community service projects; not a lot of work, but taught them the importance of giving back to the community. Community service is always good to emphasize on college paperwork. The schools will ask about it.  We only had meetings when we were discussing projects or drives. We collected items for a homeless shelter, took food to a food pantry, etc. I think your daughter would benefit from it, but it may depend upon how large her chapter is, who sponsors it, and how active it is. Beta Club members are usually NJHS or NHS also. Hope this helps! 

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy  Have you checked if her school offers National Honor Society membership? Some schools offer one or the other. I would have her check with her guidance counselor regarding benefits and requirements.

Respected Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

I was a sponsor of Beta Club when I was teaching....enjoyed it. It is good to add to a college resume', but more importantly, it involved the students in many community service projects; not a lot of work, but taught them the importance of giving back to the community. Community service is always good to emphasize on college paperwork. The schools will ask about it.  We only had meetings when we were discussing projects or drives. We collected items for a homeless shelter, took food to a food pantry, etc. I think your daughter would benefit from it, but it may depend upon how large her chapter is, who sponsors it, and how active it is. Beta Club members are usually NJHS or NHS also. Hope this helps! 

She already joined the Unicef Club at her high school.  She's worried about joining another club and not having enough time for school work.  She is not in AP classes, all on level.  Her 9th grade teacher recommeneded Advanced Chemistry but she didn't want to take it so she took on level Chemistry and it's hard enough for her.  

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ScrapHappy  Have you checked if her school offers National Honor Society membership? Some schools offer one or the other. I would have her check with her guidance counselor regarding benefits and requirements.

Yes, her high school offers both.  I will email her counselor.  Thank you.