Trusted Contributor

It was okay. They are both really talented but mismatched, IMO.

I was fortunate to view Whitney Houston's rendition. NO ONE has come close to her! What a voice.

I really like H.E.R. but I thought she didn't need to add the riffing in the middle......

Respected Contributor

Re: National Anthem

[ Edited ]

Hey you kids, get off my lawn.

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

I was fortunate to view Whitney Houston's rendition. NO ONE has come close to her! What a voice.

I really like H.E.R. but I thought she didn't need to add the riffing in the middle......

@candyagain  I agree, Whitney was great when she sang at that game.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Eric Church (famous country singer) but was not familiar with Jazmine Sullivan.  I prefer a single singer in their style rather than a mix of two different styles.  After Lady Gaga's rendition at the inauguration all else pales in comparison. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I thought the Super Bowl version was atrocious and the worst I've ever heard at a Super Bowl.  They should have stayed home.

I have to agree.  Its not an easy song to sing , but the year Whitney Houston sang the National Anthem it was the 1991 Super Bowl it was so incredible,  what an amazing voice she had.  If you get time its online. Certainly there have been others over the years, but she was the best in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

No one complained about Whitney Houston's performance. It's dismissive to say people complain every year as though those complaining just like to complain.

As to America the Beautiful, what matters isn't the scenery, it's the people who, like my forebears, fought and died for freedom. It's not the land of pretty, it's the land of the brave. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: National Anthem

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

He was awful--who is he???--she was good and the best part were the fireworks!

@kaydee50 He's a country singer- not my genre AT ALL. I had never heard Jazmine before, what a beautiful voice! She balanced out the country twang really well. Woman Wink Yes, wonderful fireworks!

Honored Contributor

I didn't mind it.  It was good to hear a different version, and I like that the two collaborated.  They were respectful.

Here it is for those who, like me, missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vswaT_KOZCw 

Esteemed Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

@candyagain I liked  genres blended-  I'm not a country music fan so that half of the 'blend' didn't work for me! 

Maybe an Ann WIlson 'powerouse type' with Jazmine? That would be amazing!

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

@candyagain I liked  genres blended-  I'm not a country music fan so that half of the 'blend' didn't work for me! 

Maybe an Ann WIlson 'powerouse type' with Jazmine? That would be amazing!

Wow! Annie Wilson would've blown up the anthem all by herself!

Agree, the styles didn't match. Actually, Jazmine and H.E.R. might've been dynamite. Eric Church's talent would've given a lovely America the Beautiful....