Honored Contributor

My sister in law has family there, and have made contact today. They are fine but have a lot of clean up. Not sure how much damage they have sustained but we were glad to hear they were all ok. 

And I won't slam the coverage or preparation for the Coronavirus stuff. 

As someone who has lived a prepared lifestyle my entire life, most of what one will do to prepare for a tornado will be of help in a pandemic, a job loss, a health crisis that reduces a family's earning potential, a snow storm, or any other number of trying times. 

Yes, preparations can be destroyed in a weather event, but proper preparations and storage/logistics mean you will most likely not loose everything. 

My late mother in law had a saying that you seem to bring forward @BlueFinch . She used to say "the things we worry about are most often not the things that happen to us, it's other things, we didn't even think to worry about that get us". 

You and she are right. Life is like that sometimes. But it still doesn't make being aware and prepared for a wide array of circumstances  foolish or a waste of time, as many like to bring up in times like these (not at all saying that is what you were intimating in your post).

Trusted Contributor

I woke up to a beautiful, sunny day, here, and heard the news.  

So terrible, we just never know.

Prayers for all the victims, their families, and the Nashville area! 

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor, possible text that says 'We stood together once. We'll stand together again.'

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

Sending prayers for all dealing with this.

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for those in Nashville! 🙏🏼
  We lived in Jackson TN. And there were bad ones there and in Henderson. My husband was a National Guard Advisor there. The damage was dreadful from one! 
   I've been afraid of trailers ever since then!

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain , I'm sorry, but I think you totally missed my point, mentioning COVID in my OP. It was a reminder not to ruminate about things that may never happen. Preparedness is fine, obsessing is rarely helpful.  

I'm sure some of the victims of this horrible tornado shared fears over the virus. Some may have, unnecessarily so, but It turned out to be the least of their worries.  

Mother Nature, and life in general, often have other plans for us. We need to suspend worry, for the greater things we may face, while embracing life in between.

My hope is the people of Nashville will have all the support they need, to cope with their losses and grief, to begin embracing life again. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Porcelain , I'm sorry, but I think you totally missed my point, mentioning COVID in my OP. It was a reminder not to ruminate about things that may never happen. Preparedness is fine, obsessing is rarely helpful.  

I'm sure some of the victims of this horrible tornado shared fears over the virus. Some may have, unnecessarily so, but It turned out to be the least of their worries.  

Mother Nature, and life in general, often have other plans for us. We need to suspend worry, for the greater things we may face, while embracing life in between.

My hope is the people of Nashville will have all the support they need, to cope with their losses and grief, to begin embracing life again. 

You think the people of Nashville have been ruminating about COVID-19 and that an immediate natural catastrophe somehow is helping them change their focus? Ruminating on tornados isn't healthy either. Saying this was all Mother Nature's plan is not...helpful. In my individual opinion.

That's what I think about it. I do think you mean well and I do think the kind sentiments and intentions are lovely. Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Occasional Contributor

Nashville got very little press and/or help after the flood. The city pulled together and overcame the devestation. Having lived in Nashville for over fifty years, I can tell you the city will once again rise up to help its own and rebuild quickly. I am grateful to live in a community where the people care for one another and always seem to help each other no matter the occasion or the need. 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain You still don't get it.  I'm not talking about changing the focus of the people of Nashville.  Are you kidding me!  I'm not sure you're meaning well, at the moment. Enjoy yourself.  Peace and out.  

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

@BlueFinch ... I understand what you are saying.  Right now Nashville and surrounding communities have a few other things on their minds.  There has been a shift in their worry priorities. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."