Trusted Contributor

Re: Napa Fires, Calistoga Evacuating

@Noel7

We are out of the area currently, but our son and his wife and baby are in the City.  They have been texting that the air quality is bad, and everyone is inside.  I wonder if schools will be closed tomorrow?

My thoughts and prayers for the people in Napa and Sonoma counties.  We will be home tomorrow night.

Hope you are doing ok.

Honored Contributor

Oh Noel, I'm sorry to hear about this.  Do you have one of those air purifiers?  We had one years ago (Q sold them).  It's like a tower and it moves back and forth like an oscillating fan.  Supposed to clean the air.  I don't know how well it did that, but it gave the air a fresh clean smell.  Hard to explain.  I think they sell them at BB&B.  Maybe you can look on Amazon and get one delivered quickly.  I stopped using it because I felt like it gave off cool air, kind of like AC.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched a slide of pictures from the fires.  The devastation is horrible.  One picture alone was a fireplace standing of what was left of a house.  Others showed buildings consumed in flames.  One picture was nothing but smoke, nothing could be seen, I imaged all that smoke filling the air that people breath.  Having lived in southern CA for forty years I am familiar with the fires, one never forgets the destruction, the loss of property, and the struggle to pick up and start over that many people experienced.

California has the best firefighters, I have seen them in action a number of times, they all deserve medals.

When I worked as a Property Manager for Warner Bros. in Burbank we had scheduled Fire Alarm tests, some with our own Fire Dept., some with the City of Burbank Fire Dept.  One division president chose not to participate, WB Fire Dept. let it slide, not so with the city of Burbank.  I was there when the Captain of the Burbank Fire Dept told him he is to leave his office and evacuate along with everyone else and if he doesn't they will hand him a citation of non compliance.  I loved it, no one should think they are above the rules when it comes to instructions on how to save your life.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, I am hearing that eleven people have lost their lives. At least 1,500 buildings burned, one being a K-Mart.
Honored Contributor

Last report I saw-100 people missing.

Those pictures are heart-breaking.  Almost as though a bomb just wiped out certain areas.

Please take care, everyone.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Very sorry to see there has been deaths.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I am hoping that the 100 missing are simply people who haven't connected because cell phone usage has been spotty at best because cell phone towers were damaged or destroyed by the fires.
Honored Contributor

I was lucky enough to visit the Napa valley region in the late 90's.  Such a beautiful, beautiful place and it makes me so sad to see this destruction.  Good thoughts and prayers for all impacted by these vicious fires and please stay safe in the coming days.  

Honored Contributor

The Hilton Sonoma Hotel is gone.  I've stayed there many times when visiting my daughter-in-law's family.

I'm hoping today is cooler, not windy, and this gets under control.

Regular Contributor

My childhood house is burnt down. I live in Bakersfield now. Have all my family up in Santa Rosa. Very sad Larkfield holds many memories for me. All good Robin