Respected Contributor

Re: Napa Fires, Calistoga Evacuating

Ah, my old home----

friend sent pics yesterday of blue angels. 

My father lived on kearney under coit, such fun to watch from there.

Please be cautious. We keep masks to help with smoke,, but not sure that that is good with asthma.

Guess I should turn on the news.

My thoughts are with you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7

Hope you and yours experience some cleaner air tomorrow, if airflow from the ocean can help.  Thing is, September and October are always problematic in the Bay Area weather-wise, with warmer temps and cause for worries regarding fire danger.

We have many friends and relatives still in the greater area and in The City.  All in the Calistoga and Napa areas have long since evacuated.

One thing we tend to forget or may not even know is that these fires create their own weather.  It's absolutely horrendous.  Learned about this while living in San Diego and experiencing several 250,000 acre fires and having to be evacuated with our 2 cats.  Believe me, it's scary beyond belief. 

If you're in the area or even slightly close and don't have a "take" list yet, do it now.  Be sure to include your computer(s), tablets, photos, albums and all portable meaningful memories you can quickly pack.  We had 30 minutes to pack and it's amazing what can be done in 30 minutes.  Be sure to take at least 4-5 days worth of clothing and don't forget night wear and underwear - easily forgotten, along with a toothbrush and toothpaste.

May sound trite, but you never know where you're going to wind up.  And, when you get there - - - take a deep breath, get out of your car and watch where you're going.  We had friends, still feeling scattered at having to be evacuated and had stupid things happen to them.  One not so stupid was a work friend who parked her care at a Hilton Hotel near Interstate 8 in San Diego, got out of her car and without looking ran around to the back of her car to get into her trunk.  She tripped over a speed bump, fell and fractured her hip, ending up in a hospital on Coronado for a week.

Please, just be careful, everyone.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7  My prayers for you and your family and pets to be safe.  Pray that these fires will be put out and you will get the much needed rain for your state.  God Bless and stay safe.  

Honored Contributor

The fire is 40,000 acres now.

@sfnative

They say, at best, the air won't begin to clear until the middle of the week.

I don't think fire will hit The City, but the air is really bad.  We just brought up the kitty carriers.  Called our vet and they cancelled days off to be there for the animals. 

Honored Contributor

Seems there is always fires in California, just too much dry  trees,and shurbs to burn.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

ABC local news is running live reports.  The wind is making things worse in the Bay Area.  We are getting warnings that we will have very bad air quality in the morning. There is no way to get away from it.  

The SF Office of Emergency Management is overwhelmed with calls from people worried about where the fire is. 

Parts of Santa Rosa and Sebastopol are now under mandatory evacuation. 

@Noel7, I haven’t been outside yet today, but my local area FB neighborhood group has been reporting all morning that they can smell smoke. The local FD has investigated, said we have no fires (though of course that could change any time, anywhere in CA) and that we’re smelling/seeing smoke from Napa and Sonoma - almost 150 miles away!

People have posted photos of what the sky and air look like in SF this morning, and that air quality is really bad. Stay inside with windows closed!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I just hope that there is no loss of life. 

Esteemed Contributor

The Oakland Hills fire happened on October 19 - 20, 1991, just a few days shy of 26 years ago.

All of this is just so, so sad.

Honored Contributor

20,000 people evacuated, 14,000 structures burned down.

People in Santa Rosa told to get out now.  

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I just hope that there is no loss of life. 

@Plaid Pants2

Their local firefighters have said over and over they cannot save property, they are concentrating on saving lives.

The air quality in so many areas is dangerous.