Trusted Contributor

Nanny Convicted in 2012 Murders

I don't know if you all recall, but Yoselyn Ortega was a nanny that murdered two children in her care on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The defense was pleading not guilty by reason of insanity. The jury didn't buy it and she was convicted of first and second degree murder in two counts. Ugh this case is so tough. She made the family go through a 2 month court case when she could have simply pled guilty 5.5 years ago--she's going to the slammer anyway. If the defense had proven their case, she would have ended up in a mental hospital, which I have heard is worse than being in a prison? Man Sad

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nanny Convicted in 2012 Murders

@JBKO wrote:

I don't know if you all recall, but Yoselyn Ortega was a nanny that murdered two children in her care on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The defense was pleading not guilty by reason of insanity. The jury didn't buy it and she was convicted of first and second degree murder in two counts. Ugh this case is so tough. She made the family go through a 2 month court case when she could have simply pled guilty 5.5 years ago--she's going to the slammer anyway. If the defense had proven their case, she would have ended up in a mental hospital, which I have heard is worse than being in a prison? Man Sad

I was very glad to hear the verdict. I've been following this case carefully. The jury knew she was guilty but it was a matter of what she was guilty of that took time. I'm glad she didn't get off with an insanity plea. I hope she does good hard time. Killers of children do not do well with the general population.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is just heartbreaking for the family of those 2 innocent children. The verdict still

will never bring their babies back.

I read about this case in our newspaper this morning. The killer has no remorse about

what she did. Her family can still see her but the parents have to visit a cemetary because

of what SHE did. Horrible!

Honored Contributor

I do remember this case'

Glad there is some justice for the 2 kids. 

Honored Contributor

She was going for an insanity defense so she had to go through a trial.  She couldn't just plead guilty even though there was no question of her guilt.  The insanity defense was a long and rarely works.  I'm glad it didn't in this case.  She's going to prison but she'll still have life.  Something those two babie will never have.  Something their parents will never really have.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was discussing this case with my DH. From my research, it seems the nanny became upset she was not paid more or given more hours. She also seemed to have hatred and jealousy towards the mother and most likely the entire family. The nanny only began to hurt herself once she saw the mother in the bathroom and there were two other witnesses. The first defense they tried seems to have been that an intruder came in from a Facebook page that professed her innocence.The judge offered her a plea deal for 30 years to life in 2012 against the wishes of the prosecution, which she rejected. She is now facing life in prison.

Jealousy is very dangerous. I learned this when I got engaged and married. I posted previously that a bridesmaid pulled out via text 6 days before my wedding. My sibling threatened to walk out the day of along with her children who were also part of the bridal party. One of my DH's family members stopped talking to us when we got engaged. My father who has never met my DH refused to walk me down the aisle. I lost my entire family due to selfishness and jealousy when I got married. They stopped talking to me and I was depressed for over a year. It was very hard.

I learned that one has to be hyper aware of those around us for any signs that hopefully can be picked up on.

Not everyone is happy for you when you're doing well.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

Really it seems like the parents would've gotten a whiff of her hostility.

A lot of people don't notice things like that.

Honored Contributor

This might not be true, but I read her son called the murdered children collateral damage..When I read that, I wanted to smack him