Super Contributor

Re: Nancy Hornback is leaving QVC

@JONNYSBRO wrote:

Lisa Robertson had the biggest send-off in QVC history nothing mysterious at all. She announced in October 2014 and her last show was December 2014. It was huge buildup to a major big party with lots of guests and the big ballgown. Jill Bauer had a send-off as well that was a 2 hour send off. Sharon Faestch also had a mini send off as I heard she did actually leave QVC was not fired. These other hosts with no send off were clearly layoffs or terminations. I feel bad for Nancy but not surprised she was mainly on Q2 before the layoffs. What I would leave u with is Julia Cearley I think is the new QVC favorite. Shes so fun and corp seems to love her

I think your observation is spot on. If a host chooses to leave there's a sendoff, but if it's a layoff they just disappear.

I am not surprised really at any of these layoffs. Retail is just down everywhere.  Younger generations aren't into gold or jewelry and those that do buy it have had little reason to do so since many have been stuck at home for almost a year.

Except for electronics, loungewear and home improvement items everything else has seen steep losses in sales.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like she was let go too.  If they don't sell they are gone, hence all the hard sell now to buy buy buy.

Esteemed Contributor

@JONNYSBRO wrote:

Lisa Robertson had the biggest send-off in QVC history nothing mysterious at all. She announced in October 2014 and her last show was December 2014. It was huge buildup to a major big party with lots of guests and the big ballgown. Jill Bauer had a send-off as well that was a 2 hour send off. Sharon Faestch also had a mini send off as I heard she did actually leave QVC was not fired. These other hosts with no send off were clearly layoffs or terminations. I feel bad for Nancy but not surprised she was mainly on Q2 before the layoffs. What I would leave u with is Julia Cearley I think is the new QVC favorite. Shes so fun and corp seems to love her

@JONNYSBRO 

I think you are right in your assessment. Well except I think it's clearly Courtney Khondabi who is the new QVC favorite. 

Honored Contributor

@JONNYSBRO wrote:

It doesn't sound like it was her decision. I think after the pandemic QVC has had to make cuts. I think Nancy has been here for 12 years. I am not surprised after Q2 folded there wasn't room for her really. She seems like a nice lady.

@JONNYSBRO 

so why did they hire people when they let people go?  

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I'm sorry to hear this; I enjoyed Nancy.  Maybe she can get a job with JTV.

@ValuSkr 

If memory serve, she came from JTV.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

IMO, QVC should get rid of all the hosts and let the vendors present their product, cut prices and free s/h.  

I think QVC should get rid of the vendors and spend more time training their hosts.

@deeva Ding-Ding-Ding... We have a winner!! I couldn't agree more. Most of the vendors don't add a thing to the presentations and the few who did are now mostly gone... Especially now that they're phoning it in and taking up half the screen with the vendor's face rather than an actual focus on the MERCHANDISE... Hire competent hosts, train them well to do what they need to do, and lose most of the vendors...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I've watched QVC from just about the very beginning. I've seen hosts come and go. However, in the old days there was little turnover and hosts seemed to have more independence in their presentations. When QVC started their one-size-fits-all mentality, they lost me. I look online but that's it. I don't know if changing times and tastes doomed TV shopping but I, for one, no longer enjoy the TV shopping experience.

Respected Contributor

I have to agree with a previous post ... in essence, "if you don't get a cake, you don't have a job."  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYViewer wrote:

It seems strange the QVC invested in her getting gem trained this summer and let her go...I hope it was her own decision. Funny how some hosts can stick around and other go so quickly!

Nancy Hornback took her GIA classes years ago and has been certified in GIA stones most of her time with QVC. It wasn't "this summer" as you posted. She's been an ambitious host, beat cancer, became a mom, has volunteered often, and so much more during her time as an employee at QVC.

I'm confident her life will continue in a much more positive and rewarding way for Nancy and her family.

All this speculation is cruel and no one's business. Watch her shine!

If you don't have something kind to say, please keep quiet.

BTW: Mary Nelson also gave her good-bye (in tears) on air. She was extremely kind and had no idea how emotional that day would become. But HER decision to leave QVC was all hers and her husbands. They had purchased another home in Omaha, NE and were excited to return to a City they loved. Mary was not happy at QVC or as a host putting on the airs and having to do everything "as told" by the trainers and PTB. She was too good for the fake everything.

I aplauded her for staying true to her values. Heart

ETA: Perhaps more (Lisa R., Jill, and others) have had enough of the forced faux behaviors, make-up, hairstyles, and procedures. Those things were evident during COVID when hosts were doing their own make-up and hair; they looked more natural and PRETTY without the spidery eyelashes, heavy make-up, overdone hair and nails. Sadly, all the "glam" is coming back and it isn't pretty and feminine.

I also wonder how safe all those procedures are. Certainly a host has the right to say, "Enough, let me age gracefully."  It's telling when cleavage and hands are aging, but face and tummy tucks are often redone!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Never watched her that much. Probably hiring younger folks some hosts are approaching their golden years.  Need younger nice looking men LOL

@SharkE Sad to say but it is true that being nice looking helps sales.  Rick is getting up there in years, as we all are.  It would be nice to have a few more younger male hosts.

Agree with you both and yet most recent hires are younger women, many of whom are, to me, not particularly gifted as hosts. 

I like old people