Honored Contributor

Re: Nancy Hornback is leaving QVC

@Flyer98 wrote:

I wonder if QVC getting rid of certain hosts has anything to do with the willingness of hosts to work crazy hours.  Sometimes I think about all the various days and times they work and think how difficult it would be if you were raising a family.  I felt that was one of the reasons Jill left.  She was missing out on so much of her son's life.

Well hosts welcome to the REAL WORLD.....many of us have had to work shifts over our careers that we didn't like .....  I remember working weekends and nights early in my career and I didnt have the benefit of a six figure salary either like the Q hosts....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt.. I agree w/ u. Nancy in my recollection barely did any shows in the last year. Again, why wouldn’t she have been hosting an all day gem day as their “resident GIA gem expert? That boggles my mind a bit. I’m sure
she had to have seen the writing on the wall or at least I hope she did. She didn’t seem to fit in.
Honored Contributor

@KKlim wrote:
@Spurt.. I agree w/ u. Nancy in my recollection barely did any shows in the last year. Again, why wouldn’t she have been hosting an all day gem day as their “resident GIA gem expert? That boggles my mind a bit. I’m sure
she had to have seen the writing on the wall or at least I hope she did. She didn’t seem to fit in.

@KKlim 

Yep, the handwriting on the wall was when they regulated her to Q2 when they added back a little bit more live programming....I saw her do some Quacker Factory Shows and little else....Anyone sentenced to Q2 better get their resume ready, unless its one of the shows being rerun from the main QVC channel ....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt..your absolutely right on! Have a good day..🙂
Regular Contributor

@Spurt I know what you mean.  My spouse and I both worked shifts.  There were times I had to get a sitter for my kids on Christmas because our shifts would overlap. I always worked weekends and missed most of my kids' sports. However, had one of us been able to support the family, we would not have chosen that route.  Although they make a great salary at QVC, you have to choose your priority.  

Honored Contributor

Ar least she didn't say she was leaving to spend more time with her family.  LOL   It's a business, it's retail and I am sure there are goals that hosts have to meet.  There's some formula that that determines if they are generating enough salds and the hosts that don't meet that goal are let go.  I don't watch much of QVC on tv and while Nancy has been with QVC for many years, I've only seen her a handful of times.  I wish her well.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I could never understand why they let Cathy Pedrayes (spelling?) go. She was the best of the new crop when they also hird Courtney Khondabi & Christine Zell amongst others. 

She was calm, thorough, knew the product, well dressed, well coiffed, well spoken, attractive....she had the whole ball of yarn needed for a good enjoyable host. 

@shaggygirl  I didn't understand that either. I thought Cathy and Courtney were quite similar -- in regards to their sales presentations.

Honored Contributor

Question about sales quotas. It's rare that I buy anything when it is being shown on air. Aside from an occasional TSV or Valerie Parr Hill item, I generally buy after looking up an item on QVC's website. Why have sales quotas when they have no idea what prompted me to order something? Should I get my TSV when my favorite host is selling it?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG wrote:

Question about sales quotas. It's rare that I buy anything when it is being shown on air. Aside from an occasional TSV or Valerie Parr Hill item, I generally buy after looking up an item on QVC's website. Why have sales quotas when they have no idea what prompted me to order something? Should I get my TSV when my favorite host is selling it?

@AuntG 

In their financial presentation to Qurates Board Of Directors they said there's technology set up where they can tell how an order was placed and whether it was an item being presented on air or ordered at another time on their website.  They break the sales down by ordering method.

A copy of the presentation is also posted on the parent company's website, Libertyinteractive with a transcript of the press conference, graphs and charts and data, but the info is by product categories not by host. (that info is kept confidential). 

After I read that, I made sure I ordered when my favorite host was selling....or when it was not being presented on air...or decided not to purchase it at all....It makes you think about not wanting an annoying host getting credit for a sale.....

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I could never understand why they let Cathy Pedrayes (spelling?) go. She was the best of the new crop when they also hired Courtney Khondabi & Christine Zell amongst others. 

She was calm, thorough, knew the product, well dressed, well coiffed, well spoken, attractive....she had the whole ball of yarn needed for a good enjoyable host. 

@shaggygirl I was also a Cathy fan and I was sorry to see her go.  I think she could have been a big plus for QVC.