Hot wheels

lego's

etch a sketch

operation

mr. potato head

twister

record player/portable radio

I feel like I'm forgetting something(s) 

I did also have a beautiful bicycle with the banana seat and fringe on the handlebars  

my fav. childhood christmas gifts that I received and I spent a lot of time with were a zither, a guitar and a little standing vanity with a mirror and a pretty brush and comb set

Respected Contributor

Re: Name some of your favorite childhood toys

[ Edited ]

I loved dolls - Tiny Tears, Ginny, Madame Alexander Wendy,

Betsy Mc Call, Miss Revlon & Toni doll

(you can see a Toni doll in my post under   Fashion    -        Yacht-y Clothes posts. Toni dolls had hair that

you could "perm")

Doll house & furniture

Metal roller skates with a key

Jackstones

Hula Hoop

Board games

Lots of books

Jump rope

Magic 8 ball

Kaleidescope

Microscope ( not really a toy)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Queen of shop wrote:

@lynnie61  Great thread! I grew up with an absolute gaggle of cousins. My family was extremely large on both mom and dad's sides. My cousins range from 15 years older to 15 years younger and we are all still alive and connected. It's wonderful! There is a tribe of us.

Anyway, there is not one toy that was mentioned here that either boy or girl cousins didn't have and I didn't play with. We visited with our parents a lot. Weekends, starting on Friday nights and lasting till Sunday. Many relatives to choose from. The adults had fun and so did us kids.

I guess if I had to pick "one", it was my tea set. Loved setting up the cups, saucers, tiny plastic silver spoons and cake plates. My dad, my hero, always indulged me in sipping plain water and some pretzels for the "cake". Woman LOL Fun times.

I had loads of books too. I think we all did as @Kachina624 said.

Oh my, how could I forget my tea set?!?!  Mine matched my mom and dad's set of china - white with pink and burgundy roses..  I'm sure it had to be a GWP. 

Respected Contributor

I'm reading all the postings and so I'll add to my previous post becaue I'm now reminded of things: hula hoop (I was obsessed), my crayons (also obsessed), slinky was so amazing and yes, I also had a tea set which I loved.  You know I also loved to look through and read our encyclopedia set, as well as this particular greek mythology book that we had.  also the pie and the patty pan books, as well as dr. suess.  (and others)

Honored Contributor

Barbies

Bicycle

Valued Contributor

Paper Dolls 

Respected Contributor

Patty Play Pal

Chatty Cathy

Candyland

Sorry board game

Shmo board game

image.pngWe also drew our own life-size Shmo board on the sidewalk and driveway.

Barbie board game

image.png  I still have a vintage Barbie board game, and played it with my child when young.

-Jump rope

-Roller skates

-A tin can for Kick The Can

-The tree swing and digging for rocks, fossils, & fool's gold at the neighbor's multi-acre wooded lot

-Dolls we made of kleenex while riding in the car on family  vacations

-A record player

-A school desk, chalk, chalk board to play school

-A ball for 4-Square

-Schwinn Debbie bicycle

Frequent Contributor

pick up sticks, puzzles, jacks, monkey named zip, marbles, silly putty, mother goose books, slinky, my green scwhin bike, skates, and i loved to play card games like fish, and old maid, which i'am now. But great memories, with my sister and friends, hop scotch, and jump rope, and hide and seek were my favorites, Of course i went on to play spin the bottle. Sweet memories.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Toni doll  

Walking toddler-size doll

(I had 70 dolls at one time in my young life)

Monopoly (my best friend, Sally, and I played the game for hours!) 

Paper dolls

My tea sets

Cap guns

Jump rope

My play doctor's bag (how could I forget that?)

Jacks

Tinker Toys

Lincoln Logs  (my brother's, but he let me play with them)

A neighbor's stony barricade that I pretended was a restaurant/soda shop and from which I served customers.  There were multi layers of sheet rock (I think) that rose to about 4 feet, and there were many nooks and crannies that became "equipment" for me to prepare food for my customers.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I didn't have toys...I had books!

@phoenixbrd    I daresay most of us had many books.  That's what kids did before TV and video games, they read books.

I had a beloved 16" Madam Alexander doll named Nancy.  My mom made her a nice wardrobe.

.    @Kachina624  Just the mention of M.A. dolls brings back such good memories.  Both my sister and I got several over the years (when we got a little older and started taking better care of things).  I don't remember their names.

Before that, I loved my Barbie (I think the original issued in late 50s).

Then there was my Chatty Cathy, Shirley Temple doll, hula hoop, Silly Putty, my first two wheeler, easy bake oven, Twister game, Mouse Trap game and the old school roller skates and original style skate board.  In between all that I loved to read my Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and Hardy Boys books.