Trusted Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

NYC is attacked by foreign and home grown terrorists because of what it represents in this country. Most well known city, large population, center of culture and commerce. Frankly gets the intended attention. It has zero to do with anyone allegedly not liking New Yorkers. And frankly under the circumstances I find that being thrown out here to be very distasteful.

I dislike people based on who they are as individuals, not where they live or where they're from.

Distasteful is an understatement. I don't care what a person thinks of New York and New Yorkers, but to voice their negative opinion of them here, under these circumstances is appallingly insensitive. I might add.... ignorant and narrow-minded. Shame!

Maybe the best time to discuss this irrational dislike of NYC is at the very moment people are confronted with their courage and bravery in the face of craziness.

Honored Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Stray wrote:

I just came back from the Middle East....I was even profiled....it didn't bother me as it was for security.   These countries know who is in their Country, how long you've been there and they make sure you leave.  Australia and NZ, controlled immigration.  No one is saying close the borders, just be sensible. 

We haven't been sensible though, closing the borders, even temporarily might allievate our problem.

What do you mean by closing the borders?  No tourists, no business travelers, no visas issued for people to work here?

@Maudlynn- I think she means re inmigration, diversity visas....it's an old program and it doesn't work in Today's world....it's not political, well known people from both parties agree it should be discontinued.  

Closing the borders and stopping these particular types of visas are 2 entirely different things.  From what I've heard, the lucky folks who get these diversity visas are vetted. Tourists aren't.  Shouldn't we look at tourists too if that's the case?  shouldn't we be looking at people from England, France and German since terrorism is on the rise there?  Perhaps if @SydneyH had answered the question, we'd all be enlightened to her idea.

@Maudlynn

yes, those entering via the green card lottery program have to go through quite a bit of vetting for themselves and their families. health documents, financial documents, birth certificates, passports, educational information, and more. there is a lot involved in the process and it is so much more than what tourists have to go through to get here. there is no comparison.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

Closing the borders and stopping these particular types of visas are 2 entirely different things.  From what I've heard, the lucky folks who get these diversity visas are vetted. Tourists aren't.  Shouldn't we look at tourists too if that's the case?  shouldn't we be looking at people from England, France and German since terrorism is on the rise there?  Perhaps if @SydneyH had answered the question, we'd all be enlightened to her idea.

Excuse me but I'm not required to respond to your interrogation, however since this seems to ruffle your feathers, I think a closed border or highly restricted one for a short period of time would be helpful.  I don't know why we aren't allowed to weigh in without the hostility.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Excuse me but I'm not required to respond to your interrogation, however since this seems to ruffle your feathers, I think a closed border or highly restricted one for a short period of time would be helpful.  I don't know why we aren't allowed to weigh in without the hostility.

@SydneyH

Her comments were purely factual and rational, not hostile.  There is no need for constant anger.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm grateful my husband decided he had enough with the NYC traffic and decided it was time to pack it in and retire.

Who knows what time he would have walked in the door last night if he were still working.

I don’t understand.8 people were mowed down by a terrorist & you’re grateful that your husband didn’t come home late? 

Yes, when it got to the point where he was spending 20-30 hours a week commuting, yes I am grateful that he wasn't there or near the sight...not sorry for being selfish.

I didn't take it that way - I took this to mean she was glad to see her husband safe - a normal response.  Another  reason for not feeling sorry for being selfish.  Worked in the Metro DC area when 9/11 happened.  All landlines and cell towers became so overwhelmed the whole system just shut down.   

I had multiple friends working at the Pentagon and trying to reach them was impossible.  Families were frantic not hearing from them for hours on end or until they came walking through the door.  Traffic and rush hour here are horrendous so add to that the stress of not being able to get to them due to communication line overload, police and rescue having to get through, it can add hours more till you hear/see for yourself that they are safe. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@SydneyH  Oh, please...just give your opinion. Everyone else is here. No need to wring your hands over feedback. You're consistent though. lol

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@SydneyH  Oh, please...just give your opinion. Everyone else is here. No need to wring your hands over feedback. You're consistent though. lol

Which I did, are you done yet?  I sure hope so because I will be working tomorrow and won't be available to respond to your barbs for awhile.

Regular Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Right? No interrogation. Just a question.  Talk about ruffled feathers and hostility.