Honored Contributor

NYC Schools Closed for the Remainder of the Semester

Mayor Deblasio just announced that schools will not re open for the remainder of the semester

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: NYC Schools Closed for the Remainder of the Semester

In Washington State, also.  It was announced about a week ago.  

Of course, NYC has more people than the State of Washington. 😃

Esteemed Contributor

Add PA to the list...

Honored Contributor

As hard as that is for many kids and their families, I applaud those decisions.  Everything I read/hear that I believe makes me think even as it becomes safe to re-open some kinds of activities, we still need lots of social distancing to be safe from re-infection.

Putting kids on buses and subways and then into crowded classrooms feels to me that asking for trouble in so many ways.  

Is there a place where we know that there's not only not virus now but where we also know schools could open and maintain some social distancing and where sanitation could be sort of guaranteed?  Hate to subject someone to an experiment, but that's the only kind of experiment I'd want to be a part of -  as a parent or as a teacher.

Valued Contributor

We live in TN. and I have grand kids at the U of MI. and schools were closed 3 weeks ago and it was understood for the remaining school year.

Esteemed Contributor

In Arizona schools have been out since spring break.  The kiddos get out in early May anyway so they will go back in early August.

Honored Contributor

What took him so long?  Much of the rest of the country has already done this.  Our kids in NM have been out for a month, although they start classes at home via computer on Monday.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

What took him so long?  Much of the rest of the country has already done this.  Our kids in NM have been out for a month, although they start classes at home via computer on Monday.

@Kachina624   NYC schools have been closed since March 16. He just extended it for the rest of the year. They have not been going all this time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   NYC schools have been closed since March 16. He just extended it for the rest of the year. They have not been going all this time.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Yes, it's not like he just announced that schools will close.

Honored Contributor

Good news for the kids: No more school for the rest of the year!  Bad news: You can't go outside and play with your friends.  Good news: You can stay inside and play video games!