Honored Contributor

NYC SCHOOL TEACHERS

[ Edited ]

How are you feeling about next week?

It will be a shock to the system that's for sure.........all that heat and the stairs up to the 3rd floor carrying heavy things....uhg!!!

All good things must come to an end and new good things begin.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

@catloverI didn't teach in the City, but my classroom was on the third floor of a building erected in the 1930's.  As you climbed each floor, you could feel the heat increase.  Add a bunch of bodies and some humidity and  do not ever look at a thermometer if you want to get anything done.  It wouls be way too depressing. 

The heat wave we're in right now makes me ever so happy to be long retired.

Valued Contributor

CATLOVER, (I am owned by a spoiled white kitty who believes the kitchen opens at 3:00 am)  BUT, I love him with all my heart.

Thanks for the memories.  Although I currently live in Ohio, I was born and raised in New York City and started my teaching career in 1969 in the 4th grade in New York City Schools. If I'm not mistaken, there was a strike and Al Shanker was in jail.  I had a mad crush on him...go figure.  My classroom was also on the 3rd floor with no a/c and we had to climb those 3 flights serveral times a day.  Of course, I was very young then.  I'm 72 now and could never do it.  I taught there for about 5 years until I got married and we moved to Long Island.  I'm retired for many years but work as a substitute and enjoy it.

Thanks for the memories.  I wish you a wonderful school year.  docsgirl

Respected Contributor

Considering the high real estate taxes in NYC, I'm shocked the schools aren't air conditioned!  

I went to school 1-12 in PA, our schools were not air conditioned, but we had huge windows on all 4 sides of the building so there was lots of cross ventilation.  The high school had 3 stories plus a basement.  It was built in the very early 1900's.  

New Contributor

I don't usually post on the forums but this thread caught my eye. I am a NYC school teacher, currently teaching Pre K on the first floor of a large school building. I went in today to begin the set up my classroom. We have to pack everything up in June and push the furniture to one side of the room. So today I began by first unstacking furniture that had been piled up by the custodians so they could wash my floor and moving it all to its propper place. Next I started to unpack my endless amount of centers which are all bagged and placed on a countertop. The room was hot as the air conditioner is old and in need of repair. I will return tomorrow, Thursday and Friday and continue the process which includes applying new labels on everything, washing the furniture and changing bulletin board paper. Am I complaining? Not at all. I love my job. If I didn't, there would be no way that I would be able or willing to endure all of this on the last week of my summer vacation.  

Honored Contributor

Lovestea

You are an inspiration and by your post I can tell you love your job.  I'm sure it shows during the school year through your students.  

I was involved in social work at a urban school district.  I didn't need to prepare my room which was a little bigger than a closet.  However, I saw how the teachers did everything they could to prepare the students for the new school year.  Most were dedicated and determined.  

I have great respect for teachers and have several in my family and among my friends.  They earn every bit of the salary they receive and deserve more.

To you and all teachers, have a great year and I back you all 100% !!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I attended high school in the 1970's and the building was built in 1929. It had a basement and four more floors, no elevators. 

One year my locker was on the fourth floor. Talk about getting awake. That trek up the stairs first thing every morning did the trick. 

None of our schools back then had air conditioning, and it got pretty miserable sometimes. We never started school till after Labor Day. 

They closed schools in the nearest big town here today because of heat, and I saw on the news, that the Columbus, Ohio city schools had early dismissal because many of their buildings still don't have air. 

The Columbus news was in a classroom at 9am, and it was already 87 degrees in that room, so yeah, I think they need to go back to that starting after Labor Day thing!

Honored Contributor

@catlover@Mominohio@spiderw@Lovestea@this is my nic

I think about my teacher friends, including the ones here. That first day of school is a time of anxious anticipation for both the teachers and the students. 📚 📖 ✏️  🚌📱⌨️⌚️📟 

Wishing everyone a wonderful school year!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Re: NYC SCHOOL TEACHERS

[ Edited ]

Not a teacher, but I went to Catholic school in NYC. Back then the nuns still wore the down to ankles, multi-layered garb and veil, draped with heavy rosary beads, and the big starched habits that covered their necks and dug into their faces. During those hot days the poor women would suffer so - I remember their faces being red and sweat pouring down their cheeks, especially the more portly nuns. Those sisters sure got entry points to heaven.