Trusted Contributor

Re: NY on Pause to be Longer that May 15

I'm quite sure the governors of many states if not all have not had 100% stellar performances.  I'd bet on that.

So which state should we pick on next? 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@DAD wrote:

That's disgraceful!! When I heard about that I was horrified!! You can bet his Mother, Matilda isn't in a nursing home. Some didn't even come from a nursing home!!! He is going to be looked at for letting something like this happen. I'm from NY & he could care less about all the rural communities that are hurting! We are an 8 hour drive to NYC!!

You can rest assured old Tilly is not in a nursing home. And, I'm sure she is getting her hair and nails done. I think he is a terrible governor, he ought to take some lessons from the governors of GA and FL. Wish he would never run for office again (of course he will though), he is an arrogant creep. He sure is good at fooling and manipulating people. Lots of gullible people out there who fall for the phony charisma and charm. He is quite the actor.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio You get my award for post of the morning -  every choice of what to do also means a choice not to do something else.  Tug of war, see-saw -  whatever image you choose --  finding a balance is tricky if not impossible.  Everybody with any power to restrict or to release is facing an onerous responsibility. 

Even those with such power who make a decision I don't like have my empathy -  I know they've made a choice that will be good for some.

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@DAD wrote:

That's disgraceful!! When I heard about that I was horrified!! You can bet his Mother, Matilda isn't in a nursing home. Some didn't even come from a nursing home!!! He is going to be looked at for letting something like this happen. I'm from NY & he could care less about all the rural communities that are hurting! We are an 8 hour drive to NYC!!

You can rest assured old Tilly is not in a nursing home. And, I'm sure she is getting her hair and nails done. I think he is a terrible governor, he ought to take some lessons from the governors of GA and FL. Wish he would never run for office again (of course he will though), he is an arrogant creep. He sure is good at fooling and manipulating people. Lots of gullible people out there who fall for the phony charisma and charm. He is quite the actor.

Lessons from Kill-em-All Kemp and Party on the Beaches DeSantis?  You've GOT to be kidding!

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

This is what irks me, that the wealthy elite don't think the rules apply to them. Am opening a can of worms here but still think Chris Cuomo had no business being out and about like he was while the Gov. was preaching to everyone else to lockdown when his own brother did not.

Honored Contributor

I'm in PA.  Gov. Wolf is openining the state in phases by counties.  Here where I am in the southeastern part of the state, the earliest we will open will be in early June.  Other counties (mostly northwestern) will open much sooner.

Honored Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

I hesitate to jump in here because it’s clear we all have our opinions and never the twain shall meet. There was a time in this country when we were more sophisticated on current events, realized that these issues are difficult and complex, many shades of gray. Now it’s either/or, black and white, the good people and the bad people; to me it’s another side of intellectual laziness and it diminishes our character as a country.

Whatever people believe about this covid crisis, let’s remember that strict isolation has been practiced, with few exceptions, worldwide and was recommended by the top epidemiologists on the globe, people who have dedicated their lives preparing for what most of us didn’t and stil don’t have a clue about. It worked in NY, Italy, So. Korea etc. It’s also true that the carnage is devastating. Economic recession/depression is happening in ALL of the countries affected. Mental health issues will follow for years. 

Whatever people’s opinions are I hope we can have some humility about the enormity and complexity of the issue and not sit on the sidelines and pick at those on the frontlines. It’s easy to be critical when you never have had to make a controversial decision with no easy answers, knowing you will make many unhappy no matter what you do.

@nevergivesup 

I'm sure you know already, but I wanted to mention that it worked in Australia and New Zealand as well.

Frequent Contributor

Deree said....

"Lessons from Kill-em-All Kemp and Party on the Beaches DeSantis?  You've GOT to be kidding"

Georgia Covid Deaths 1352

Florida Covid Deaths 1600

New York Covid Deaths 21,271

The numbers speak for themselves.  I live in a close in suburb to NYC and I would gladly exchange the death rate of GA and FL for N.Y.   By the way Florida is now the third most populous state after California and Texas, New York is now fourth.

As I said, the numbers speak loud and clear.

Frequent Contributor

I would guess that the power of taxation is held by the legislature there not by the governor.  In most states as with the federal government, power is diffused, not concentrated in one person.  If that is the case, NY state law specifies who pays taxes and who doesn't.  For there to be changes or exceptions to the law, the legislators there would have to change it.  

In dealing with the larger issue here, he made it clear from the get-go that life was more important to him than money, that no price tag could be put on a life, that a life was priceless.  With that value in the backdrop, he has little wiggle room.  He presented the metaphor of the faucet. Scientists say we are at .7 on a continuum of the status of things given all that was done and remains in place.  He can turn the faucet on, open up things, and if we reach 1 the virus is out of control, and up the curve we go again with 700+ people dying per day. So, he has put forth a strategic plan, and we should support it.

Governors who open up their states with no strategic plan risk losing the confidence of the people in their states, because people care about their lives and won't take the risk of going to places and businesses where they are likely to get the virus and die.  When people are only interested in buying food, toilet paper, Clorex Wipes, paper towels, hand sanitizer, face masks, paying rent, car payment, and mortgage, who is interested or has disposable income to go to the shopping mall? Get a massage? Or other things that require disposable income?

He had it right.  If you live, you can always build back up in the future.  If you move too fast, death awaits with the virus, and there is no future.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CathyNY wrote:

Deree said....

"Lessons from Kill-em-All Kemp and Party on the Beaches DeSantis?  You've GOT to be kidding"

Georgia Covid Deaths 1352

Florida Covid Deaths 1600

New York Covid Deaths 21,271

The numbers speak for themselves.  I live in a close in suburb to NYC and I would gladly exchange the death rate of GA and FL for N.Y.   By the way Florida is now the third most populous state after California and Texas, New York is now fourth.

As I said, the numbers speak loud and clear.

What are you talking about?  In comparing New York to any other state you are comparing apples to oranges.  There are so many factors to account for the much higher death toll in NY. At the top of the list being sheer density comparison!  Please just stop.

So many experts on this thread without any regard to the complexities of this pandemic or just taking sound bytes without understanding the total picture of what has taken place. It boggles the mind.

For instance, New York accounts for about a third of all COVID-19-related deaths in the U.S. And while those states reported fewer nursing home deaths than New York, all have a larger share of nursing home deaths out of their state's totals than New York's 25 percent.  “No state is doing even close to an adequate job,” said Elaine Ryan, AARP’s vice president for state advocacy.

So look at your own house before criticizing anyone else's.