Honored Contributor

Re: NY on Pause to be Longer that May 15

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'm surprised that he is not keeping at least NYC shut down. I'm in N AL and we are just now beginning to open up. In my 4 county area there have only been a total of 4 deaths, so compared to NYC you would think we would be opening up a LOT quicker.  

Cuomo did a great job of whining and being the squeaky wheel.  He basically wanted the Federal government to send New York their entire stockpile of ventilators.  Kept saying "we're not going to have enough."  Well, guess what?  They did get enough from the Federal government without getting their entire stockpile.  And now he's continuing to whine about the state's financial situation and the how the Federal government needs to help.  He got a ship.  He got help from Samaritan's purse.  He had the Javits center, but all of that is not enough.  And now he's going to tax all those people who came to help including Samaritan's purse.  Not just for the the income they made while working in NY, but for a year afterwards.  Oh, but if the Feds will cough up the money he'll consider not taxing those people.  Where does Cuomo think Federal money comes from.....the taxpayers.  His is not the only state with a financial problem due to this virus.

@Icegoddess, every state that has been hit as hard as New York will absolutely need federal help. They cannot possibly cover the economic devastation on their own.

My state of California went into this pandemic with a very robust economy and with a healthy amount of funds. Now? It, too, is looking at a decimated economy.

Let's just hope that the federal government steps in as it should as the immense losses pile up. And let's hope that their financial relief has no hint of politics attached.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'm surprised that he is not keeping at least NYC shut down. I'm in N AL and we are just now beginning to open up. In my 4 county area there have only been a total of 4 deaths, so compared to NYC you would think we would be opening up a LOT quicker.  

Cuomo did a great job of whining and being the squeaky wheel.  He basically wanted the Federal government to send New York their entire stockpile of ventilators.  Kept saying "we're not going to have enough."  Well, guess what?  They did get enough from the Federal government without getting their entire stockpile.  And now he's continuing to whine about the state's financial situation and the how the Federal government needs to help.  He got a ship.  He got help from Samaritan's purse.  He had the Javits center, but all of that is not enough.  And now he's going to tax all those people who came to help including Samaritan's purse.  Not just for the the income they made while working in NY, but for a year afterwards.  Oh, but if the Feds will cough up the money he'll consider not taxing those people.  Where does Cuomo think Federal money comes from.....the taxpayers.  His is not the only state with a financial problem due to this virus.

@Icegoddess, every state that has been hit as hard as New York will absolutely need federal help. They cannot possibly cover the economic devastation on their own.

My state of California went into this pandemic with a very robust economy and with a healthy amount of funds. Now? It, too, is looking at a decimated economy.

Let's just hope that the federal government steps in as it should as the immense losses pile up. And let's hope that their financial relief has no hint of politics attached.

The issue isn't really filling it with covid costs. It's that many states were running defecits to begin with. NY was 6 billion in the hole. Now if the country wants to pay that because they suddenly love my governor so be it, but I'm hoping some at least gets tagged for a pothole or two. 6 billion in the hole and it's certainly not going to repairs. There are no words to even describe the condition of the street the Governor actually has to drive on every day to go from the Capitol to his residence. 

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Of the nearly 80,000 deaths from the virus in this country as of Saturday afternoon, nearly 48,700, or about 60 percent, had occurred in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Michigan and Pennsylvania. 

New York remains the hardest hit state of any in the country by far, having logged nearly 27,000 deaths as of Saturday afternoon. The next hardest hit state, New Jersey, had recorded over 9,100. 

Though NYC is the hardest hit city in the country with as many as 20,000 covid deaths, it has seen a relatively steady decline in both cases and deaths in recent days. 

@MorningLover My heart cries for those dear people.  Bless them!

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

New York is lucky they have the governor they do.  

Tell that to the families that had parents in Nursing Homes. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess  Well , I guess you are in the know. Are you one of his assistants? I think he's doing a great job. Hoping he would run for office soon. 

Well I did watch his daily news conferences.  And as far as taxing the medical personnel who came to help there's this:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickgleason/2020/05/08/andrew-cuomo-confirms-new-york-will-tax-out-o...

There were a lot of Drs and nurses from the Cleveland Clinic that went to help out in NYC (Detroit too) they are not at all happy about that tax thing.  The governor best pray that there will not be a second wave because no one will be coming to his aid next time.  People will remember.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I remember that the reason for having the stay-at-home situation in all of the states was because they didn't want the hospitals to be overrun due to the virus. As far as I know, New York's hospitals are not overloaded with patients now; in fact, they sent the hospital ship back to its base.

@World Traveler 

Certainly, that was one of the reasons, but we were also transmitting the

virus very rapidly, and dying at alarmingly high rates.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@DAD wrote:

Not everyone in N Y State is from New York city! We live in the "real" upstate N Y. It's very rural. We are 20 minutes to the Canadian border. If you look at a map it's the far right tip. He needs to open very low counties slowly. We have had low numbers all along & it has gone way down. Not even many were hospitalized! One size doesn't fit all!

Yes ... I am from the Real  Upstate NY also ....I can see Canada from my
front window .... on the St Lawrence River ....big difference from the " City " ....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne 

What @CelticCrafter 

@pigletsmom (especially #22)

@Icegoddess 

@Dad, and

@Lucylu12  said! 

👍

What worries you masters you.
Frequent Contributor

He is arguing for money for not only NY, but for all state and local governments.  We had to close down everything right away because we were unprepared, did not have an assessment of how bad the actual situation was in the country, had death projections for millions of Americans, and had try to limit the number of deaths as quickly as possible.  

What we know as "civilization" is funded by state and local governments: police, fire, education, potable water, sewers, solid waste, transportation, hospitals, public health, and in some places electrical power.  Additionally, there are many other critical functions, laws, and regulations for most things that impact civil society.  In fact, all powers not expressly given to the federal government, are given to the states.

So, Congress should move very quickly to get money to states and local governments.