Honored Contributor

Re: NY Declares State of Emergency - Corona Virus

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I have a "hunch" things are going to go this way.

I live in a city with a lot of back and forth to China.  Also, much world travel.  I can't believe there isn't community virus here.  However, the whole state is supposed to be free.  Nah.

@KarenQVC they need to COMPLETELY STOP travel to & from China!!!! China Caused all this & need to be punished!!!

@January121  ITA...it just doesn't make sense to keep allowing people to go back and forth. Unreal. Well, thanks to our government (or lack of rather) I feel like we're all doomed. I will be honest I"m scared to death over this. Absolutely terrified and I don't care to admit it. I am worried about my dad who is 65. I'm worried about my kids, etc...heck I'm worried about you all too!! I've just had to tell myself there isn't anything I can do other than what I've always done which is wash my hands, cough in elbow (crease of arm) and just be on guard germ wise. Also, I HAVE to work. NO other option. I live from paycheck to 4 days before the next paycheck....I don't have insurance, no sick time, etc...my job just doesn't offer anything other than insurance but it's so expensive I cannot afford it.

If I don't have a paycheck, we don't eat or have a roof over our heads. So the reality of this whole thing is pretty scary. Also, I'm worried about the disruption of supplies (meds mostly) that this will cause/is already causing. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I don't see this ending any other way.

I knew this was going to spread rapidly and that is what we are now seeing :-(

I'm not a medical person, but maybe I can allay your fears.  We have been through this before.  It's not fun, but most people get through it just fine.  YES, most people get through it.  Case in point, in 1968, the Hong Kong flu hit the country with a vengeance.  I was a teenager.  My father had just died a month before.  We were nearing Christmas and I came down with the flu.  I was very sick for about a week.  Then my poor mother got it.  Likwise, it was a pretty serious flu with high fever, aches, pains, chills, lack of appetite, etc.  She had it for just under a week, but got through it too.  Many, many people we know got it.  I don't know anyone who lost his or her life, but I know from reports, there were people who died.  Most are just what we hear about - those who are frail or have serious health issues.  PLEASE STAY CALM.  Even if you get it, you will get through it.  It has the same flu-like symptoms as most other flus.  As far as your dad, I'm older than he and yes, I'm concerned, but I'm pretty sure if i get it I'll do okay.  If your dad is in relatively good health, he should do fine if he gets it.  The problem is every time it's reported of another case, the press is making it sound like people are death's door.  I wish they'd report on how many people are recovering.  Please understand I'm not trying to make light of this - it's serious.  However, we do have to be realistic as Cuomo said.  It's very easy to let our emotions overtake us.  

@KingstonsMom 

COVID19 isn't flu.  That was reiterated by Dr. Fauci this morning on Meet the Press.

@QueenDanceALot 

I didn't respond on this post, not sure why you mentioned me, but I'm aware that the corona virus is not the flu, but has flu like symptoms.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Sorry, @KingstonsMom , I tagged you by mistake.

Yes, it has flu like (and cold like) symptoms) but it is neither.

I really was responding to posts that seem to say that it will behave like the flu.  The experts don't know how it's going to behave going forward.  It's neither a flu or a cold.

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I live in a city with a lot of back and forth to China.  Also, much world travel.  I can't believe there isn't community virus here.  However, the whole state is supposed to be free.  Nah.

@KarenQVC they need to COMPLETELY STOP travel to & from China!!!! China Caused all this & need to be punished!!!

@January121  ITA...it just doesn't make sense to keep allowing people to go back and forth. Unreal. Well, thanks to our government (or lack of rather) I feel like we're all doomed. I will be honest I"m scared to death over this. Absolutely terrified and I don't care to admit it. I am worried about my dad who is 65. I'm worried about my kids, etc...heck I'm worried about you all too!! I've just had to tell myself there isn't anything I can do other than what I've always done which is wash my hands, cough in elbow (crease of arm) and just be on guard germ wise. Also, I HAVE to work. NO other option. I live from paycheck to 4 days before the next paycheck....I don't have insurance, no sick time, etc...my job just doesn't offer anything other than insurance but it's so expensive I cannot afford it.

If I don't have a paycheck, we don't eat or have a roof over our heads. So the reality of this whole thing is pretty scary. Also, I'm worried about the disruption of supplies (meds mostly) that this will cause/is already causing. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I don't see this ending any other way.

I knew this was going to spread rapidly and that is what we are now seeing :-(

I'm not a medical person, but maybe I can allay your fears.  We have been through this before.  It's not fun, but most people get through it just fine.  YES, most people get through it.  Case in point, in 1968, the Hong Kong flu hit the country with a vengeance.  I was a teenager.  My father had just died a month before.  We were nearing Christmas and I came down with the flu.  I was very sick for about a week.  Then my poor mother got it.  Likwise, it was a pretty serious flu with high fever, aches, pains, chills, lack of appetite, etc.  She had it for just under a week, but got through it too.  Many, many people we know got it.  I don't know anyone who lost his or her life, but I know from reports, there were people who died.  Most are just what we hear about - those who are frail or have serious health issues.  PLEASE STAY CALM.  Even if you get it, you will get through it.  It has the same flu-like symptoms as most other flus.  As far as your dad, I'm older than he and yes, I'm concerned, but I'm pretty sure if i get it I'll do okay.  If your dad is in relatively good health, he should do fine if he gets it.  The problem is every time it's reported of another case, the press is making it sound like people are death's door.  I wish they'd report on how many people are recovering.  Please understand I'm not trying to make light of this - it's serious.  However, we do have to be realistic as Cuomo said.  It's very easy to let our emotions overtake us.  

@KingstonsMom 

COVID19 isn't flu.  That was reiterated by Dr. Fauci this morning on Meet the Press.

You are correct.  It's a virus.  I hope the point about getting through this wasn't lost because of that mistake.  Here's something from Johns Hopkins:

Influenza “the flu” and COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, are both infectious respiratory illnesses. Although the symptoms of COVID-19 and the flu can look similar, the two illnesses are caused by different viruses.

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sorry, @KingstonsMom , I tagged you by mistake.

Yes, it has flu like (and cold like) symptoms) but it is neither.

I really was responding to posts that seem to say that it will behave like the flu.  The experts don't know how it's going to behave going forward.  It's neither a flu or a cold.

I think you're referring to me.  My point was to try to bring calm by saying we've experienced epidemics before.  I wasn't saying it was the same thing, but my message may have sounded like that.  People should be cautious but realistic.  

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@January121, China as a country did not purposely let a virus loose to wreak havoc. They have been horribly affected by this and neither deserve or should get any punishment.

@suzyQ3 - I agree.  Terrible comment.  They have lost many citizens & the doctors in China are more knowledgeable than any other in treating this disease & sharing valuable information.  

Esteemed Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@January121, China as a country did not purposely let a virus loose to wreak havoc. They have been horribly affected by this and neither deserve or should get any punishment.

And people of Chinese heritage should not be targeted or blamed because of their race.  

@Linmo  .... Why are you defending them???? .. as far as I am concerned it’s all their fault!!!! .... if you are an American then worry about the American people & not the people that created & caused this.

They are human beings in China and I am an American but also a member of the human race.  It's very unkind and dangerous to stigmatize or suggest punishment on a nation at a time like this.  Chinese doctors contribute their knowledge re this disease to the CDC..  There are many Chinese Americans who are worried about their families in China in addition to being stigmatized here at home.  There is no fault here....no country has suffered as much as China.  Many diseases erupt in other countries and its international travel that causes widespread of a disease. 

Esteemed Contributor

@judianne wrote:

The Coronavirus has been around for a long time . Just check your disinfectant bottle wipes and spray . It says what virus it will kill and Coronavirus is listed . I have had mine for over a year. 

@judianne - coronaviruses have been around but not this one.  COVID19 is a member of the grouping.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mistic wrote:

JMO ~ "When" the Test Kits finally show up?  The US Map is going to light up like a Christmas Tree!  Smiley Sad

@Mistic - true but it doesn't mean a death sentence.  Many probably have no symptoms or mild and will be confined to home until negative. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@January121 I'm not defending anyone.  I'm just saying that we should not condemn or judge people for their race.  It's very reminiscent of WWII and internment/condemnation of people of Japanese or Jewish descent.  BTW, I was born and raised in the midwest (Ohio) and am not of either Asian or Jewish descent.  I also have elderly parents in Ohio that I worry about.  But it doesn't help to blame anyone for this.  We just have to move forward and figure out how to deal with it.  

@Linmo  .... you have your opinion & I have mine .... I said nothing about the Japanese or Jewish decent people ... you did .... I 

n/m

@Blingqueen023  ..... somebody altered the note I sent to Linmo & it was not me .... did you try to alter what I wrote? I am not happy about that!!!