Honored Contributor

NY Declares State of Emergency - Corona Virus

Governor Andrew Cuomo has declared a state of emergency in New York, with 76 residents testing positive to coronavirus

The declaration came Saturday afternoon, with the governor revealing the number of cases in the state has almost doubled in the past 24 hours alone. On Friday, 44

people were confirmed to have the disease. 

'We have now been testing around the clock,' Cuomo stated at a press conference, revealing that the number of cases in Westchester County has ballooned to 57. 

23 new cases in the county have been uncovered since Friday, and all are related to the New Rochelle lawyer who was diagnosed as the state's first case earlier this week.   

There are seven new cases in New York City - taking the total to 11.

Disturbingly, there are also signs of wider spread, with two cases now confirmed in Saratoga County in the northeast of the state - hundreds of miles away from any other cases. 

There are still thousands of New York state residents awaiting the return of

coronavirus test results.  

By declaring a state of emergency, Cuomo said that he is able to free up $30 million that can be used for testing and the purchase of protective gear for healthcare workers.

'I'm not urging calm," Cuomo stated. "I'm urging reality. I'm urging a factual response as opposed to an emotional response... that people understand the information and not the hype.'

He added that, at present, there is no need to cancel large gatherings in any part of the state. 

Meanwhile, a Queens man who drives for taxi or ride-hailing services has now tested positive for coronavirus after showing up to St. John's Episcopal Hospital in the borough on Tuesday.  

The situation has prompted 40 doctors and nurses to go into self-quarantine amid fears they have now been exposed. The man is now in isolation at the hospital. 

Investigators are now trying to piece together who he might have driven around the city in a bid to contain a possible spread.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: NY Declares State of Emergency - Corona Virus

I have a "hunch" things are going to go this way.

I live in a city with a lot of back and forth to China.  Also, much world travel.  I can't believe there isn't community virus here.  However, the whole state is supposed to be free.  Nah.

Trusted Contributor

I would liked to have heard how many hospital beds are available for quarenteed patients; and what is the plan to protect NYC subway riders.

I went to an urgent care ealier today, was diagnosed with a viral syndrome, and told to call my primary care on Monday.  I was asked if I had been out of the country in the last two weeks.  (My vitals were still good so no immediate danger.)  The chances are I will recover within a week to ten days. The place was packed. 

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

🙏

Esteemed Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I live in a city with a lot of back and forth to China.  Also, much world travel.  I can't believe there isn't community virus here.  However, the whole state is supposed to be free.  Nah.

@KarenQVC they need to COMPLETELY STOP travel to & from China!!!! China Caused all this & need to be punished!!!

Respected Contributor

The virus was loose for 2-3 months before 

China travel was stopped, @January121 .  It just makes sense that it has a hold here already.

In fact, my husband works with a Chinese woman whose child goes to a Chinese nursery.  I suspect the virus is there from all the traveling adults.  Just a matter of time.

Honored Contributor

governor hogan of maryland has also declared a state of emergency. we have three cases so far. the three people who have it have been to public events prior to them being diagnosed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

I would liked to have heard how many hospital beds are available for quarenteed patients; and what is the plan to protect NYC subway riders.

I went to an urgent care ealier today, was diagnosed with a viral syndrome, and told to call my primary care on Monday.  I was asked if I had been out of the country in the last two weeks.  (My vitals were still good so no immediate danger.)  The chances are I will recover within a week to ten days. The place was packed. 

I don't see how there can be a plan for the subway outside of shutting it down. 

Esteemed Contributor

I understand there is one confirmed today in Johnson County, KS - near my Missouri home. I work in Johnson County. A few local engineers who traveled to China for work are also isolated and being watched.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@KarenQVC they need to COMPLETELY STOP travel to & from China!!!! China Caused all this & need to be punished!!!

@January121  ITA...it just doesn't make sense to keep allowing people to go back and forth. Unreal. Well, thanks to our government (or lack of rather) I feel like we're all doomed. I will be honest I"m scared to death over this. Absolutely terrified and I don't care to admit it. I am worried about my dad who is 65. I'm worried about my kids, etc...heck I'm worried about you all too!! I've just had to tell myself there isn't anything I can do other than what I've always done which is wash my hands, cough in elbow (crease of arm) and just be on guard germ wise. Also, I HAVE to work. NO other option. I live from paycheck to 4 days before the next paycheck....I don't have insurance, no sick time, etc...my job just doesn't offer anything other than insurance but it's so expensive I cannot afford it.

If I don't have a paycheck, we don't eat or have a roof over our heads. So the reality of this whole thing is pretty scary. Also, I'm worried about the disruption of supplies (meds mostly) that this will cause/is already causing. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I don't see this ending any other way.

I knew this was going to spread rapidly and that is what we are now seeing :-(

~ Hope in TN ~