Respected Contributor

Re: NY Declares State of Emergency - Corona Virus

[ Edited ]

@January121 I'm not defending anyone.  I'm just saying that we should not condemn or judge people for their race.  It's very reminiscent of WWII and internment/condemnation of people of Japanese or Jewish descent.  BTW, I was born and raised in the midwest (Ohio) and am not of either Asian or Jewish descent.  I also have elderly parents in Ohio that I worry about.  But it doesn't help to blame anyone for this.  We just have to keep ourselves informed, move forward and figure out how to deal with it.  I hope that you and you loved ones stay healthy!

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@January121 I'm not defending anyone.  I'm just saying that we should not condemn or judge people for their race.  It's very reminiscent of WWII and internment/condemnation of people of Japanese or Jewish descent.  BTW, I was born and raised in the midwest (Ohio) and am not of either Asian or Jewish descent.  I also have elderly parents in Ohio that I worry about.  But it doesn't help to blame anyone for this.  We just have to move forward and figure out how to deal with it.  

@Linmo  .... you have your opinion & I have mine .... I said nothing about the Japanese or Jewish decent people ... you did .... I just don’t like China for what they did period 👎

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I have a "hunch" things are going to go this way.

I live in a city with a lot of back and forth to China.  Also, much world travel.  I can't believe there isn't community virus here.  However, the whole state is supposed to be free.  Nah.

@KarenQVC they need to COMPLETELY STOP travel to & from China!!!! China Caused all this & need to be punished!!!

@January121, China as a country did not purposely let a virus loose to wreak havoc. They have been horribly affected by this and neither deserve or should get any punishment.

And people of Chinese heritage should not be targeted or blamed because of their race.  

@Linmo  .... Why are you defending them???? .. as far as I am concerned it’s all their fault!!!! .... if you are an American then worry about the American people & not the people that created & caused this.

WOW!!!  I'm not defending anyone but am in disbelief about the racism that some Americans have about Chinese people right now.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the people in Saratoga County is a pharmacist in a neighboring county.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps we should distinguish between a criticism of decisions by the Chinese government versus the Chinese people as a whole, who have lost many loved ones and been devastated by this virus.

Having said that, I think I’m ordering some Chinese food from a favorite local family-owned restaurant tomorrow.
Valued Contributor

The Coronavirus has been around for a long time . Just check your disinfectant bottle wipes and spray . It says what virus it will kill and Coronavirus is listed . I have had mine for over a year. 

Honored Contributor

@judianne wrote:

The Coronavirus has been around for a long time . Just check your disinfectant bottle wipes and spray . It says what virus it will kill and Coronavirus is listed . I have had mine for over a year. 

The information label on the Lysol products  refers to previously identified strains of the human coronavirus, not the new strain behind the outbreak of the disease COVID-19.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

@sunshine45 There are a number of viruses that are each a type of cororavirus. Example, SARS and MERS are both considered to be a Cororavirus. This one that is a pandemic now is COVID-19, the 19 stands for the year it first appeared. It has now been said to have broken up into two different strains, the S strain, a less contagious form with milder symptoms and and the L strain, a more severe and deadly form. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@January121 I'm not defending anyone.  I'm just saying that we should not condemn or judge people for their race.  It's very reminiscent of WWII and internment/condemnation of people of Japanese or Jewish descent.  BTW, I was born and raised in the midwest (Ohio) and am not of either Asian or Jewish descent.  I also have elderly parents in Ohio that I worry about.  But it doesn't help to blame anyone for this.  We just have to move forward and figure out how to deal with it.  

@Linmo  .... you have your opinion & I have mine .... I said nothing about the Japanese or Jewish decent people ... you did .... I 

n/m

Respected Contributor

states/localities need to do this to get federal funds. the appropriation passed this week in Congress has provisions to aid the states with costs incurred from the virus.