Honored Contributor

Re: NURSES, PRESENT AND PAST

I salute ALL nurses...

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO~!

One of my aunts was a nurse, she was very kind and compassionate.....  And I also have a cousin that's a nurse as well.....

Image result for i love nurses clip art

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother was a practical nurse. She would stand on the corner for the bus to take her to town and the hospital. I would keep her company until the bus came admiring her white uniform, cap, and blue cape. 

Respected Contributor

I liked the days when nurses wore white uniforms and their distinctive caps.  No one confused them with the cleaning team.  Today, unless you're very familiar with the hospital and who wears what color scrubs, it's impossible to know who's a nurse and who is cleaning.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I started my RN career in 1974.  I spent over 40 years in the operating room, heart transplants, total joint replacements, brain surgeries and removing things from places they shouldn’t be. It was an exciting place to work.  My license expires the end of this month and I have decided not to renew it. As much as I miss the OR, I hope I never see it again.  Well, except for cataract surgery. 

Esteemed Contributor

12 years ago, I had ovarian cancer surgery and was in the hospital for several days - then transferred to assisted living for 3 more weeks. I was also back at the hospital several more times (the last time was 7 months ago). I was amazed at the nurses and medical staff --- so kind, helpful and they work so hard. I had no idea because prior to 2006, I was never in the hospital. I thank them all so much. They need more recognition --- they work crazy long hours, and they have to keep smiling. THANK YOU to the AMAZING NURSES!!!!!

Honored Contributor

My Mother-in-Law was an RN. We believe her happiest time was when she lived in the dorms. She loved the friendships and bonding. I do not think she was ever happier.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

My daugther is a new RN, since March, and works in Rehab. She wears black scrubs and likes that, Needs good shoes because her feet hurt from being on them so much. She works the night shift, from 7:00 to 7:30, and sometimes doesn't get out before 8 or 8:30 with charting and things that may happen at the last minute.  She was a Massage Therapist for 20 years, and owned her own business, but changed careers. 

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I liked the days when nurses wore white uniforms and their distinctive caps.  No one confused them with the cleaning team.  Today, unless you're very familiar with the hospital and who wears what color scrubs, it's impossible to know who's a nurse and who is cleaning.  

I agree completely. When I was recently in the hospital a nurse came in with full uniform,, including the cap.  When I inquired about it, she told me she had worked too long and hard  for that "cap" not to wear it.....it was her pride and joy and everytime she came into the room I knew she was actually a nurse.  I suppose each color represents a different phase of medical care  but I'm usually too sick to have to figure it all out.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Tricolor wrote:

I worked as a nurse and was glad to see the scrubs change into more fashionable styles and colors. Plus I was a disaster wearing white. Everything showed on my uniforms.

I prefer to see medical personnel dressed in more colorful, yet medical office-appropriate,  uniforms.  My favorite doctor wears a button-down shirt, pleated khakis, a colorful tie, and a Mickey Mouse watch. 

I like to see colorful scrubs on the nurses and the staff that I see. It cheers me up when I'm in the hospital.

I have doctors that wear colorful bowties, and I see another doctor who wears nice neckties. They're always really nice-looking, and sometimes they'll have some kind of a holiday theme on them too, in time for whatever holiday it is. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember the day we received our caps and pins at a special ceremony.  We all carried a candle as we walked up to receive them. 

I then worked as an RN in hospitals for 40 years and saw many, many changes.