Esteemed Contributor

Re: NO! You cannot bring your sick dog....

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I am always amazed at people- and not in a good way usually, lol. If I had a sick dog, I would stay home and take care of it and it would NEVER cross my mind to ask a person hosting a party I wanted to go to if I could  bring my sick dog with us??! What?? I also don't understand why people bring tiny babies to concerts and sports arenas. To me, it is just pure selfishness.

I know what you mean about bringing babies, young children to adult themed places.

Case in point.

About five years ago, I went to see Bill Mahar when he did a one night show up here. Part way through his show, a baby start to fuss and cry. Bill finally told the parents to leave, because that was no place for a child. "No, seriously. Please leave. Your money will be refunded."

The parents left.

Omg, I have been to one of his shows and it is totally not the place for a child! This really blows my mind that a parent(s) would think to bring a child to such an event. What a bunch of selfish people. Not only to do that to their child but to do it to other people there at an obvious ADULT outing. I am so pleased that Bill said that to them. I hope he completely mortified them but I have a feeling a couple that would bring a child to a Bill Mahr show isn't the brighest or self aware people in the world. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

A RESPONSIBLE pet owner would stay home with the dog and take care of it. Some people should NEVER own a pet.

Regular Contributor

You're obviously not an animal lover.

Honored Contributor

What person who loves animals would drag a sick dog to a party?

Respected Contributor

Even asking is so dimwitted.  I have noticed so many people don't have a Plan B for anything.  They think the waters of the world should part for them.  Sad.

Honored Contributor

When a pet is sick he or she needs to be in their home if at all possible, their safe place.   They need quiet and their own bed or blanket, not party noise and a distracted person who usually takes care of them.

They do not need the stress of an unfamiliar place surrounded by people they don't know.

Their person needs to be at their side to comfort and clean them and ready to call the vet if their beloved dog takes a turn for the worse.

Super Contributor

As a dog lover and one who has been caring for multiple special needs dogs for years...I would have to ask what the dog was sick with.

Could the dog just have been old and failing and need monitoring?  Going through Chemo, or experiencing an Addisons or Cushings episode?  Maybe diabetic?

I have an epileptic dog and have missed many outings due to his seizures.  He is a very social, loving, well behaved dog...he is usually ok after the first seizure but has clustered in  the past and needs to be watched for closely for 24-48 hours to administer extra doses of meds at almost hourly intervals to avoid him going into status.

Now if the dog is sick with something that could be contagious to your other pets, vomiting, the runs etc.  then absolutley not.  but...if for other reasons, it never hurts to ask does it?

Esteemed Contributor

@dreamytoo wrote:

As a dog lover and one who has been caring for multiple special needs dogs for years...I would have to ask what the dog was sick with.

Could the dog just have been old and failing and need monitoring?  Going through Chemo, or experiencing an Addisons or Cushings episode?  Maybe diabetic?

I have an epileptic dog and have missed many outings due to his seizures.  He is a very social, loving, well behaved dog...he is usually ok after the first seizure but has clustered in  the past and needs to be watched for closely for 24-48 hours to administer extra doses of meds at almost hourly intervals to avoid him going into status.

Now if the dog is sick with something that could be contagious to your other pets, vomiting, the runs etc.  then absolutley not.  but...if for other reasons, it never hurts to ask does it?

Have to agree, without knowing what was going on it is hard to judge this person.

Would have to wonder what the reactions would be of the op was something like this.... "Just received an email last minute that a couple is not coming to our party because thier dog is sick....."

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

When a pet is sick he or she needs to be in their home if at all possible, their safe place.   They need quiet and their own bed or blanket, not party noise and a distracted person who usually takes care of them.

They do not need the stress of an unfamiliar place surrounded by people they don't know.

Their person needs to be at their side to comfort and clean them and ready to call the vet if their beloved dog takes a turn for the worse.

Exactly, even just simply an old dog you want to monitor should not be drug around to strangers' houses so you can party. An old dog likes routine and familiarity- anything more is stressful to the dog.

Stress isn't good for epileptic dogs either and being in an unfamilar place is stressful for dogs and could cause more seizures.

So if you truly care about the dog, whatever the issue it may have, you need to stay home and care for it or, if you just can't miss that party for some reason, lol, have a familar face stay to care for the dog if possible, someone who has cared for the dog in the past.

When you take in a pet, you promise to care for them through good and bad. If you are not willing to do so, then, honestly, you should not have a pet. They aren't things that are simply there for us at our convenience only- they rely on us to care for them and keep them safe, happy and comfortable. If your social life is more important or more of a concern than the welfare of your pet, then please don't take in a pet. This is coming from a person who has missed many family functions and felt the wrath of relatives and "friends" that cannot understand my dedication to my pets. It doesn't bother me though because those who know me and really care about me know that my pets are important to me and I take my duty and obligation to care for them seriously and they do not try to make me feel bad for missing family and friend functions.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Have to agree, without knowing what was going on it is hard to judge this person.

Would have to wonder what the reactions would be of the op was something like this.... "Just received an email last minute that a couple is not coming to our party because thier dog is sick....."

I agree CrazyDaisy, the amount of resentment by my family and friends from my having to cancel plans due to a sick dog....or  medication schedules is quite measureable.

I have never brought any of my dogs to any ones home...mine (75-100 lbs.) aren't exactly portable with crates you can carry so I don't do it.  If they were smaller dogs I might ask to bring one with me.   I remember well missing a party a few years ago at my daughters home....I was so looking forward to it for a month.  My dog had a seizure the day before and I was tempted to bring him because it was an outdoor party but I thought chasing her beagle around might be too much for him.