Honored Contributor

Re: NO Mail Delivery Wednesday 12/5

It's frustrating for me as I've got a shipment of live aquarium plants coming through the mail that will now spend an extra day in transit.

I don't remember them doing this for other presidents. Is this something new? Granted, it's been a while since Reagan died so I may have just forgotten it. We might be seeing quite a bit of these closings if this is the new normal as neither President Carter nor President Clinton look all that healthy these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A National Day of Mourning is an official day recognized by the government for the country to come together and participate in memorial activities.

The designation is usually only given in the U.S. after the death of a president.

In the United States, a sitting president while in office will immediately issue a presidential proclamation allowing for the flag of the United States to be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures in the federal government, such as a former president, and others, as a mark of respect to their memory.

When such a proclamation is issued, all government buildings, offices, public schools and military bases are to fly their flags at half-staff. Under federal law (4 U.S.C. § 7(f)), the flags of states, cities, localities, and pennants of societies, shall never be placed above the flag of the United States. Thus, all other flags also fly at half-staff when the flag of the United States has been ordered to fly at half-staff. Protocol dictates that flags will be flown at half-staff for a period of thirty days for a former president, beginning at the time a presidential proclamation is made effective.

At the discretion of the sitting president, he will also issue an executive order which authorizes the closure of all federal departments, agencies, and buildings on a national day of mourning during a state funeral.

The last time there was a National Day of Mourning for a U.S. president was Jan. 2, 2007. Gerald Ford, who was the most recent president to die, passed away on Dec. 26, 2006.

Makes perfect sense..

Esteemed Contributor

It's just one day and some people have to be miserable about missing their junk mail.

Respected Contributor

"Out of respect for the 41st President of the United States and to honor his vast contributions to our country during his lifetime, and consistent with the Presidential Proclamation, the United States Postal Service will suspend regular mail deliveries, retail services and administrative office activity on Dec. 5.

We will provide limited package delivery service on that day to ensure that our network remains fluid and we do not experience any impacts to our package delivery operations that might negatively affect our customers or business partners during the remainder of our busy holiday season," stated USPS 

Respected Contributor

How I look at it ... that day is somebody's birthday or wedding anniversary.   The anticipation of greeting cards is what some look forward to.   I could care less about getting a QVC package, one day won't matter, but well wishes do make a big impact, and being one day late is a bummer.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

How I look at it ... that day is somebody's birthday or wedding anniversary.   The anticipation of greeting cards is what some look forward to.   I could care less about getting a QVC package, one day won't matter, but well wishes do make a big impact, and being one day late is a bummer.

Who the heck can accurately time the arrival of a birthday card sent?

Honored Contributor

I think it's a wonderful show of respect to close Federal offices today.  But it's the busiest time of year for the US Postal Service and, being an independent agency of the Federal government, I think USPS could have made an argument to stay open. Instead, it'll pay workers OT later in the week to make up for the lost day. 

I pick up my mail only once a week so I couldn't care less about not getting mail today.  But as a taxpayer who often hears about USPS's dire financial straits, I think they should have been more responsible.

Honored Contributor

I think anyone born 1990 or later is going,

”What’s a ‘Post Office?’”

🙃

Gosh, I still see flags Full Staff.

And I guarantee...those flags which are down today, 

will be full staff on Monday. And those flags which will observe

the 30 days...will still have them down middle of January. 

There’s a bank I drive past every day is always ‘opposite.’

When they’re suppose to be down, they have them up.

When they’re suppose to be up, they have them down. 

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️

Frequent Contributor

@wildlifewitch wrote:

@last mango Those of us working in a governemnet capacity aren't necessarily getting a day off from work. 

Hi flipsy

Yes I know that as I am also a government employee and I too am working today.  I am an air traffic controller.  Our administrative staff personnel are off today for observance of the funeral, but we are considered necessary for safety/defense reasons.  

I hope your work day goes well!  

Happy Holidays