Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

@SharkE - it's really sad. 

We don't eat out often but I think my hubsand and myself are the only two people in the entire restaurant or diner that don't have our phones in our hands or on the table.

This stuck with me and it made me so sad, we were out one night - a woman in her late 40's early 50's came in with her mother (I assume) from the time they sat down until the time we left, the younger of the two never put her phone down, never looked up.  Phone in one hand, fork in the other.

I would give anything to be able to be able to sit across the table from my mother for a meal or a cup of tea.

Me too.

Mine died at 28

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine not staying abreast of what's going on and the only way to do that is to watch news everyday because skipping a day can mean missing something very important.  Heck, things even change from morning news to afternoon or evening news.

What I have decided to do is not watch news too late at night because it hinders my sleep, I think.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxiewrote:

I can't imagine not staying abreast of what's going on and the only way to do that is to watch news everyday because skipping a day can mean missing something very important.  Heck, things even change from morning news to afternoon or evening news.

What I have decided to do is not watch news too late at night because it hinders my sleep, I think.

@Mmsfoxxie Very well said.  

Respected Contributor

My husband watches the news every night. I stopped about two years ago. I do check the news online. That’s enough for me.

Honored Contributor

Everybody has a different level of tolerance for any given thing. 

I would prefer, if there is someone to eat with (I eat alone a lot due to husband's work schedule), to not have tv or news on at all, but enjoy the meal and the company. 

If eating alone, tv in some form is usually involved. 

As for ditching the news entirely, that just isn't me. 

I'm a realist, and I handle the horror well. It is the real world, it is what is happening, and I want to be informed. 

I don't need/want a steady diet of the doom and gloom, the political mess, the tragedy all day every day, but I watch/read a number of new outlets daily and base my opinions on the various reporting. Don't want to leave that up to social media or sound bites on the internet.

Honored Contributor

I get breaking news on my computer's home page. 

Then I choose if I want to watch any more details on TV.

Dare I say that I know a couple of folks who are glued to their cable bantering talk news shows and it seems to continuously keep them in a fairly stressed mind set. 

Imo, too much stress isn't a very good idea, health-wise.  It takes it's tole on the mind, and eventually the heart, body.

Why kill ourselves ahead of time? is what I often think to myself.

Just my opinion right at this minute. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I tried to do that last January..worked for awhile. But I've been a "news junkie" all my life and it's hard for this leopard to change her spots. Although sometimes it's almost too hard to bear. 😢

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

From the start of our marriage (50 yrs.) I never allowed TV during meals.  We also don't answer the phone when at the table. 

DH has his phone velcroed to his leg, and when it rings he will not answer it, but holds his breath until the ringing stops!

I avoid restaurants with TV's on every wall whenever possible, and when I do see one I try to sit where his view is impeeded.

Mealtime is the only time I can get his full attention these days.

He has always been distracted by "bright & shiny", and since I'm not either one anymore I need to fight back!

Honored Contributor

Our local news is pretty tame, they give us the news but no gore.  Most of the time it's on in the background when it's time to serve dinner, a small TV in the kitchen.  DH and I talk about the news as it plays out.  People we know and used to work with often pop up, more so our daughter's friends in politics.

It works out well for us.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

If you don't watch the news or read the news or listen on the radio how can you be informed about what is happening? How can you be an informed voter? or just a good citizen?

Very true, but I don’t think many in the thread (or any?) have said they never listen to or watch news ever. They just don’t read or view multiple outlets all day every day.

Our local news (we have two stations of local news) broadcasts the exact same news at 5, 6 and 11, no changes unless huge new story, which is rare. I only need to see it once; I can remember what they said ;-) and if I want to refer to it again or see if there’s an update I can go to the station website. I have a “Breaking News” setting and get that throughout my online time. I don’t lack for news, but many times I don’t need or want the details, which are often partisan (and not just referring to the obvious). Unless it’s a very cut-and-dried event, I no longer pay attention to what the commentators expound on.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all