Respected Contributor

I've never done my food shopping on line so I don't know if this would have any effect of not getting the items you ordered but when I go grocery shopping, I'm not getting the brand I'd usually buy or a particular item.  For example:  I like Progresso bread crumbs, but they only had Kroger brand and if I wanted Oreo's and they only had chocolate chip.  Does shopping on instantcart allow for substitutions?  I'm not getting many of the things I'd usually pick up at the grocery store.  I've been buying things I have never tried before.

Contributor

Food is all stores in Maryland are extremely scarce and there is no point to even looking for TP

Contributor

When I say can't get out, I'm 70, a widow lost both my adult son's and husband and only have a few cousins who live elsewhere and I'm handicap. I was getting my groceries delivered but now the waiting list for a date is months away.

Respected Contributor
@scraphappy. Instacart allows you to add a comment or a suggestion for a substitution. For instance, I ordered International Delight hazelnut coffee creamer. I added a comment “sub any brand hazelnut” so the shopper would know the flavor was more important than the brand. Instacart shoppers will chat with you in the app while they’re shopping so you can let them know what to substitute if something is out of stock. I haven’t used the other shopping services but I imagine there’s a similar function.
Respected Contributor

@josie wrote:

When I say can't get out, I'm 70, a widow lost both my adult son's and husband and only have a few cousins who live elsewhere and I'm handicap. I was getting my groceries delivered but now the waiting list for a date is months away.

I'm about 64 with diabetes that caused my kidneys to stop functioning and am now on dialysis. I also have chronic heart failure. 

I've used Amazon Fresh but can't get a delivery date so I then went to InstaCart. With them, there are times when I have to check back with them constantly but I do eventually get a delivery date. I've found that the closer to midnight, the better the chance I get a delivery date. I just make sure I order enough to carry me through. 

Oh, and I live in a city with over 1 million others. 

Trusted Contributor

@josie wrote:

I ordered 33 items through Instacart yesterday and received 5....this doesn't even begin to show the first sign of getting better, if you do find domething somewhere the cost has tripled it is starting to get to me since I'm almost 70, can't get out, retired and a widow. What are we suppose to do...should we start buying food on QVC because we can't get it in the grocery stores?

In our area we advised people to call 2-1-1  -  in our area a county helpline.  There may be a group of do-gooders who will assist you by grocery shopping for you.  

I live in an area that has an enormous population of Seniors.  We had a lot of people offering to help anyone with picking up food for them or people dropping off groceries from a food pantry.

Respected Contributor

@josie wrote:

I ordered 33 items through Instacart yesterday and received 5....this doesn't even begin to show the first sign of getting better, if you do find domething somewhere the cost has tripled it is starting to get to me since I'm almost 70, can't get out, retired and a widow. What are we suppose to do...should we start buying food on QVC because we can't get it in the grocery stores?

@josie, I placed an order of 56 items 3 days ago and only 1 of the 56 was available.

Honored Contributor

@josie wrote:

You could use Doordash to order some food from a restaurant. Get more than you need and freeze some of it for later. Could at least tide you over in the meantime.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:
Anyone who looks to China for a model to which to compare our response, has lost all credibility.

Well, @Moonlady, they just sent 1,00 ventilators to New York, and that is a credible statement.

The governor must be thrilled to finally get some response somewhere.

Well, that's the least they should do.  Since the world is looking at China and they are being investigated for possibly creating this virus in their lab.  It looks like they might have let this virus get away from them.

If so, they should not have removed the scientists who sounded the alarm. They should have asked for help and closed down international travel. They ( Chinese government) created this mess that killed people from every continent.

Even if they did not create this in a lab, they are still responsible for the cover up and irresponsible handling of this.

I have visited China. The people are warm and friendly, but their government is corrupt.  The Chinese people are afraid and can't do anything about their situation. Lot's of people get arrested and are never seen again.

I wouldn't give China any Kudos. BTW, they also sent us and other countries a bunch of faulty ventilators, test kits and masks...what good was that?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  You seem very knowledgeable.