Honored Contributor

NO AIR CONDITIONING IN MOST OF EUROPE?

Last nights' news had stories about the heat waves in European countries.  We're all suffering with the heat.

One reporter said less than one percent of homes in the UK have a/c.   Other countries ... same thing.

Anyone care to weigh in on why this is the case?   

When I travel I usually stay in hotels, so have no knowledge of what's common with home heating & cooling systems in those countries.   

TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: NO AIR CONDITIONING IN MOST OF EUROPE?

In the UK at least the average high in July is in the 70s so there is not really a need for a/c.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And they don't use ice in their drinks either so you can't even get a cold drink unless you stop at something like a Burger King. I had the best Coke when I was there from BK. After 2 weeks of no ice we stopped, got gas and a huge Coke with ice. Best Coke ever.

Respected Contributor

Seems that even if they did have AC units, they would use them infrequently, since the summer's rarely reach high temps. I believe I read England normally has a temp in the 70's this time of year, while it currently is sitting at 104 -- if these numbers are correct.

Usually there is more focus on heating systems as they are needed for longer periods of time. Having AC isn't a good investment since it wouldn't be used often.  Historically maybe just a few times,  during only a three month period, annually. Unlike here in TX, where AC is used from April through Sept. 

After this heatwave, I bet that thinking will have to change, with so many lives lost. It's a world-wide, wake-up call. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I know that europeans have some different ways of living than we do here. They tend to live in smaller spaces, have tiny refrigerators - so they might shop for what they need every day.  There are al ot of older houses in europe that I'm sure would be very difficult to convert to central air, but don't you think they some might have standing or window a/c units?  Have fans I'm sure - personal and house.  

I'm here in the us - n/e - and I rarely put on the a/c and if I do it's just for a short period of time.  Maybe their temperature regulation is more like mine.  Like, don't mind it hot.

But, I did a quick google on the subject of why no a/c in most of europe:

– Europe's climate is less humid. Greece, Italy and Spain have a more bearable dry heat, especially for those people who grew up without A/C. – Stone or brick buildings provide better insulation than American houses. The heat penetrates more slowly, and the stone retains the coolness of the evening.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Seems that even if they did have AC units, they would use them infrequently, since the summer's rarely reach high temps. I believe I read England normally has a temp in the 70's this time of year, while it currently is sitting at 104 -- if these numbers are correct.

Usually there is more focus on heating systems as they are needed for longer periods of time. Having AC isn't a good investment since it wouldn't be used often.  Historically maybe just a few times,  during only a three month period, annually. Unlike here in TX, where AC is used from April through Sept. 

After this heatwave, I bet that thinking will have to change, with so many lives lost. It's a world-wide, wake-up call. 

@BlueFinch 

My first thought was well, they must have plenty of FANS ... right?   Probably not if the high in July is in the 70s. 

A very rude awakening for Europe.  

Honored Contributor

When I moved here to Colorado, over 50 years ago, air conditioners were not used here. ACs were never a concern in new homes back then either.

Now with the heat increasing every year people are now getting ACs for their homes. Problem is with the older homes b/c those were not wired for high electrical load appliances. My house, for example, was built in the '70s and for me to have central air installed would require a new electrical panel to handle the load...and it's very expensive to do that. 

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

And they don't use ice in their drinks either so you can't even get a cold drink unless you stop at something like a Burger King. I had the best Coke when I was there from BK. After 2 weeks of no ice we stopped, got gas and a huge Coke with ice. Best Coke ever.

We were traveling with teenagers and went to TGI Fridays in London. Server realized US tourists and said "And lots of ice-right!"

For some reason many places put lemon in coke-yuck. years ago Diet Coke was called Coke Lite.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty  I always ask for ice.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

We were traveling with teenagers and went to TGI Fridays in London. Server realized US tourists and said "And lots of ice-right!"

For some reason many places put lemon in coke-yuck. years ago Diet Coke was called Coke Lite.

@granddi 

If that wasn't bad enough, they even routinely drink beer warm.  Ugh .... Go figure.   

I guess if they have tiny refrigerators, they probably have nowhere to put ice cube trays!