Honored Contributor

Re: NIGHTS OF INSOMNIA...WHAT THINGS DO YOU DO?

My sister went through an insomnia phase about 10 years ago.   What she finally did was keep a stack of instruction booklets in one of her nightstand drawers.  Apparently,  nothing puts you back to sleep like a set of convoluted instructions! 

Honored Contributor

For anyone who might not be aware, our sleep needs and patterns change as we age. Older people need slightly less sleep than young people generally. 

Different things will additionally mess with sleep cycles. Menopause did a number on me as far as sleep.  As I'm nearing 70 in a few years, I stay up later and still wake up - either "just" wake, or wake because I have to pee or my blood sugar is too high or too low, I still get an occasional hot flash, postnasal drip...whatever. And it's sometimes harder to just zip back to sleep.

But it's still heaven to me now when compared to while I was working. That was a nightmare. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I do take 10 mg of Natrol melatonin some nights, I take the time release (Advanced Sleep Formula) pill version rather than the fast dissolve kind because it has both fast release and slow acting all in one-  I get it at Walgeen’s for about $11.00.  However, the thing that helps me the most is actually something I did on a whim years ago.  I went to a hypnotist and he suggested that when I put my thumb on my chin I will relax and fall deeply asleep within a few minutes.  The thumb on the chin is so it is not an everyday gesture so I don’t get drowsy in the middle of doing something during the day.  Much to my delight & surprise this still works many years later.  It was just one visit to the hypnotist for $50 and I really did not think it was for real or would work, but it was money well spent.  I spent another $50 to quit smoking and that worked, too.  That was the best $100.00 I ever spent!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I do take 10 mg of Natrol melatonin some nights, I take the time release (Advanced Sleep Formula) pill version rather than the fast dissolve kind because it has both fast release and slow acting all in one-  I get it at Walgeen’s for about $11.00.  However, the thing that helps me the most is actually something I did on a whim years ago.  I went to a hypnotist and he suggested that when I put my thumb on my chin I will relax and fall deeply asleep within a few minutes.  The thumb on the chin is so it is not an everyday gesture so I don’t get drowsy in the middle of doing something during the day.  Much to my delight & surprise this still works many years later.  It was just one visit to the hypnotist for $50 and I really did not think it was for real or would work, but it was money well spent.  I spent another $50 to quit smoking and that worked, too.  That was the best $100.00 I ever spent!

Could you please the thumb on chin thing. Where on the chin. How do you hold your arm? How much pressure? Thank you for sharing this tip!!

Honored Contributor

I just turn on the TV and set the timer on the remote 'sleep' button for around thirty or sixty minutes or more.  That usually does it for me.  Before I know it, I'm back to sleep. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually fall asleep fast but sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and cant get back to sleep.  If this happens I turn on the TV in my bedroom on sleep mode for 60 minutes.  Or I go into the living room and read  (no mysteries nor something that may get me stimulated and my mind working)---something like the Chicken Soup For The Soul Books, Guideposts magazine or  Angels On Earth (sweet inspirational stories).  These usually work.  

One thing that helps me get a good night's sleep is 30 minutes of exercise during my lunch time, and after my work day, I go for a short walk right before dusk, OR if I'm not working being active during the day---exercising, shopping, cleaning house, maybe clean my pantry or a closet, cleaning my patio---watering plants etc.  

I also read that short "cat naps" of 10-15 minutes are okay (but no naps after 4PM), but if you take a long nap then you'll have problems sleeping at night. 

Also watch caffine---dont drink coffee, some teas also have caffine, also dont eat sweets or choclate close to bed time..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

warm milk with honey...and listen to the sounds of the ocean on my cd player

Trusted Contributor

@wonderfulworld

I am somewhat on my side (not totally) with my knees bent, one arm up almost totally straight, under the pillow & under my head that is resting on the pillow; the other arm is bent with the thumb placed in the center of my chin – thumbnail pointed up, and my hand is curled with the fingers curved in toward my throat – but NOT tight, making a fist – my hand is relaxed.  Light pressure is applied and I am usually asleep before I know it.  I am not saying that the minute I put my thumb there, I am suddenly unconscious, but I usually do fall asleep within a matter of a few minutes.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

If I were having recurrent sleeping problems, I'd talk to my doctor before taking or doing anything on my own.

Respected Contributor

Mostly I read, or go online for a while. Sometimes I watch "Judge Judy" episodes I've recorded.