Respected Contributor

Re: NIGHTS OF INSOMNIA...WHAT THINGS DO YOU DO?

@Havarti wrote:

@wonderfulworld

I am somewhat on my side (not totally) with my knees bent, one arm up almost totally straight, under the pillow & under my head that is resting on the pillow; the other arm is bent with the thumb placed in the center of my chin – thumbnail pointed up, and my hand is curled with the fingers curved in toward my throat – but NOT tight, making a fist – my hand is relaxed.  Light pressure is applied and I am usually asleep before I know it.  I am not saying that the minute I put my thumb there, I am suddenly unconscious, but I usually do fall asleep within a matter of a few minutes.

Thank you very much! How interesting. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Esteemed Contributor

I have insomnia for 6 years. I gave up and just fall asleep when I fall asleep. This is what i tried. I turned off all electronic and tv 2 hours ahead of going to bed. I tried reading ( a real book not electronic). I tried natural remedies. I tried breathing techniques. I even tried not sleeping at all thinking the next night I would be tired. WRONG. Still couldn't sleep. And I never drink caffeine unless we go out on ocassion I will have a soda. So I tried it all. I don't work anymore so I go to bed at 2 am and usually don't fall asleep until 5 AM and sleep to 11 or so. (If i have to get up to go some place, I just lack sleep that day lol.)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella We share the same sleep pattern.It is so frustrating to be awake in the middle of the night with thoughts racing in my mind.I have always been a poor sleeper but as I went through menopause it has worsened.I feel like a zombie a lot of the days.

Honored Contributor

p.s. .......... Well, there's always a B*d Light about a half hour before bedtime............... 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I have insomnia for 6 years. I gave up and just fall asleep when I fall asleep. This is what i tried. I turned off all electronic and tv 2 hours ahead of going to bed. I tried reading ( a real book not electronic). I tried natural remedies. I tried breathing techniques. I even tried not sleeping at all thinking the next night I would be tired. WRONG. Still couldn't sleep. And I never drink caffeine unless we go out on ocassion I will have a soda. So I tried it all. I don't work anymore so I go to bed at 2 am and usually don't fall asleep until 5 AM and sleep to 11 or so. (If i have to get up to go some place, I just lack sleep that day lol.)

I think, @Shorty2U, you've given up!!!! I'm a lot like you: since I'm retired I'm not so desperate any more. But sometimes I get so "off hours", my poor cockatiel's circadian rhythm is so off he sleeps all day!