Honored Contributor

Re: NIGHTS OF INSOMNIA...WHAT THINGS DO YOU DO?

@Shanus wrote:

@Puzzle Piece. Almost any channel has an infomercial for IT Cosmetics. Lol

@Shanus

ABC national news comes on here from 2 am until 4:30 am when it becomes the local news.  It's all low key.  I keep that on low and I usually fall asleep at some point.

Trusted Contributor

I get out of bed, deal with the fact I can't sleep, go on the internet and do things around the house.

I never worry about it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Evie2004. I think I posted awhile back that I love to sleep/nap when it's raining. I purchased a CD that plays an hour of rain, storms, thunder (not loud) and sometimes that works. I've almost worn it out!!! 😂

I have listened to rain and storm recordings since cassette tape days.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I use CBD oil - by itself (legal everywhere), and/or mixed with a small amount of full spectrum substances (legal where I live). You might want to read the CBD oil thread in the Wellness forum.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I don't usually suffer from insomnia but I listen to some nature sound videos on You Tube and it works like a charm.  My favorite channel is called Michelle's Sanctuary.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7. No snoring. 😟

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Noel7. No snoring. 😟

Oh good!  Smiley Happy  @Shanus

Esteemed Contributor

The worst thing to do is to stay in bed and keep trying to go to sleep. Wow! That can get very exhausting. And impossible to fall asleep. I've learned if you awake and are not the slightest sleepy, get out of bed! And if I go to bed and find I'm not falling asleep, don't keep trying, just get out of bed. And if you have to go to work in the AM or have an important appt.and are desperate to fall asleep, forgeddaboutit!

Honored Contributor

I have an ipod with the Help book on tape loaded.  I have listened to it many times as it is the most well done book read on tape I ever heard.  The readers are so good, one being Octavia Spencer as Minnie and Celia.  Must read.  Anyway,  when I go to lay down for sleep I put my plugs in and listen.  I fall asleep pretty soon. I have found it blocks outside noise, and takes you mind off trying to go to sleep.  

Before I tried this I would plug in a small portable dvd with buds and watch something light like New Tricks, Monk or other dvds.  i usually cannot watch much on my side because of back and hip.  But laying on my back I could follow script and fall asleep.  Then when I wake up, in goes the ipod and I am good until morning.

I take my little dvd player on trips, and could not sleep without it.  I am a person who is so finicky about noise, but this really works". It really takes your mind off trying to sleep.  

Also, in warm weather we turn on the whole house fan, and cooler weather I keep a small fan going all night.  This helps me

i dont have a tv in my bedroom.  I think tvs give off too much emf, light for sleeping.  The dvd player is small  so the room is darker.  With ear plugs it does not disturb my husband.

i hate mIlk but it does have calcium that can calm you.  Some peole have recomended a couple raw almonds and a couple cubes of cheese.

I used to get valerian root extract and put a few drops in water a half hour before bed. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I've gotten older I've developed insomnia.  I’m glad that I’m retired so I don’t have to worry about it.  There were days when I went to work with no sleep and that was rough.  Now if I don’t sleep it’s ok because I don’t have to go anywhere.  

I tend to get headaches if I toss and turn too much trying to get back to sleep.  I feel better if I get up and do something, usually using the computer – checking the internet or working on photos.  I sometimes clean the lower floors so I don’t wake my husband.