Honored Contributor

NIGHTS OF INSOMNIA...WHAT THINGS DO YOU DO?

Every few nights, no matter what I try, I keep waking up. Instead of tossing and waking my husband, I write in my journal...sometimes just thoughts, poetry, jewelry sketches or draw. I find I'm too tired to concentrate on reading and TV during the night is the pits.

What do you do if you can't sleep?

Respected Contributor

Re: NIGHTS OF INSOMNIA...WHAT THINGS DO YOU DO?

I listen to audiobooks. It seems like listening to something like that keeps you from trying to solve all the worlds problems and allows your brain to relax and you're just listening to a good book. I download  them from the library onto my iPad or iPhone.  I also set the book app to turn off after 30 minutes, and I never remember it happening so I must drift back off to sleep.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Every few nights, no matter what I try, I keep waking up. Instead of tossing and waking my husband, I write in my journal...sometimes just thoughts, poetry, jewelry sketches or draw. I find I'm too tired to concentrate on reading and TV during the night is the pits.

What do you do if you can't sleep?

I literally wear myself out.  I walk in the evenings, take a shower and then I am very tired.  Some evenings I have to drag myself out for a couple of laps around the block but the quality of sleep makes it worth it. 

I know exactly the frustration you are talking about.  Just don't turn on the TV or check the phone.

Good Luck 

Honored Contributor

watch a boring show on t.v. and then sleep comes. If I lay there and think about things, I'm done sleeping.

Esteemed Contributor

Suffer.

I've had insomnia all of my life.  I feel for you!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum  I do walk the dogs after dinner before bedtime. I think my lack of sleep those nights is a creative mind that I can't turn off. Not sure I can cure that.

Thanks for the idea of audiobooks. I've tried music...nothing.

Respected Contributor

This is part of my daughters medical condition. She has been taking Ambien since she wes 12. Some nights it does not work. I tell her to do a quiet project in her room, clean out her drawers, nail polish basket or closet. 

Esteemed Contributor

There is a guided meditation on YouTube that I like.  I put it on a playlist and then I found some sleep music on YouTube that I also liked and added a few of those to the same playlist.  I play my playlist, and it helps me relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSXFUcQ7qA&t=4s

Even if you don't like the one in the link, there are a ton of different meditations and sleep music videos on YouTube.  I can usually tell within the first minute if I'm going to hate one, and I've learned that I don't like certain kinds of sounds.  For instance, any "sleep" video with tibetan singing bowls in it is a big "no" for me.

I've also found that when assembling a playlist, it's good to choose videos where the sound is at a similar level, so I don't have a louder one playing after a quieter one and then get jolted awake by noise. Smiley Frustrated  Of course, you can just choose one that is 8 hours long and not worry about assembling a playlist.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

it is so awful..& seems to be happening more frequently..after an hour or so, I just get up & maybe get a light snack & try to get warm in my recliner & read some..then if that fails, see who is on this site & am surprised at how many are up during the night..for whatever reasons..guess we need a "night owl" page! 

Going back to bed for awhile..nice dark, rainy morning to catch up!

Respected Contributor

Have you tried melatonin?  I take 3 mg (dont' take more) about an hour before I go to bed.  There are some nights it doesn't work, but most nights I get a great night's sleep.  I also use earplugs as my dogs sleep in the room.  I hate not being able to sleep!  If I dont' get a good night's sleep, mama isn't a happy woman the next day.  If all else fails, and I am not sleeping by midnight or 1:00 a.m., I cut an Ambien in half and take one-half.