Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Brains . . . so incredibly sad

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt . . . . Heart

@momtochloe

Back at you my friend............. Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

An important point to remember about CTE is that it's not something that's obvious. The medical examiner has to specifically look for it and generally speaking they're only looking for it in the brains of boxers, football players, soccer players and the like.

I suspect if they started looking for CTE in the brains of everyday humans, they'd also find it popping up there at a great frequency. My suspicion is that if you gave a hundred brains (fifty athletes and fifty "normal" people) to the examiners, they'd be hard pressed to identify the brains of the athletes.

I'm not saying concussions are okay, or brain injury is ever a good thing, I'm just suspicious that people are jumping to a conclusion based on very limited evidence. I'd love to see the neurological experts be tested in exactly the manner outlined above with fifty brains of athletes and fifty brains of "normal" people to see if they could conclusively identify the brains of the athletes. My suspicion is that they could not. I have a suspicion that the signs of CTE they're finding are prevalent throughout society and not just limited to the brains of athletes.

They're currently only looking for signs of CTE in the brains of athletes, so that's where they're finding it. I have a strong suspicion that it's far more prevalent and that if they were looking for it everywhere they'd be finding it everywhere.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

An important point to remember about CTE is that it's not something that's obvious. The medical examiner has to specifically look for it and generally speaking they're only looking for it in the brains of boxers, football players, soccer players and the like.

I suspect if they started looking for CTE in the brains of everyday humans, they'd also find it popping up there at a great frequency. My suspicion is that if you gave a hundred brains (fifty athletes and fifty "normal" people) to the examiners, they'd be hard pressed to identify the brains of the athletes.

I'm not saying concussions are okay, or brain injury is ever a good thing, I'm just suspicious that people are jumping to a conclusion based on very limited evidence. I'd love to see the neurological experts be tested in exactly the manner outlined above with fifty brains of athletes and fifty brains of "normal" people to see if they could conclusively identify the brains of the athletes. My suspicion is that they could not. I have a suspicion that the signs of CTE they're finding are prevalent throughout society and not just limited to the brains of athletes.

They're currently only looking for signs of CTE in the brains of athletes, so that's where they're finding it. I have a strong suspicion that it's far more prevalent and that if they were looking for it everywhere they'd be finding it everywhere.

I think it defies common sense to think that a comparable level of brain injury would occur in people who are not being routinely hit in the head.

Honored Contributor

I am glad to see something good is coming out immediately after that study was released.  I saw the profile of this young man on Real Sports and I am so beyond thrilled he made this important and lifechanging decision and I hope it helps others to think twice:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ravens-ol-john-urschel-26-abruptly-retires-cte-study-arti...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The other day I heard a report on this and thought how sad and scary this is.

Wonder, really, what more can be done?  

Honored Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Spurt There are lots of sports that do not cause head injury or rarely do - baseball, track, tennis, volloyball, soccer,  since they aren't supposed to use their head anymore, and swimming come immediately to mind.

Concussions are not rare in soccer and using one's head (in high school and older) is perfectly legal and done quite often.

My nephew plays soccer in junior high and if they use their head they get penalized - do it twice , your out of the game.

Respected Contributor

My best friends daughter was hit in the head by a soccer ball, she suffered concussion. She suffers from this will probably never be the same. She does physical therapy and on a special diet but is no better three years later. It's so sad she's 18!