Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Brains . . . so incredibly sad

@Spurt There are lots of sports that do not cause head injury or rarely do - baseball, track, tennis, volloyball, soccer,  since they aren't supposed to use their head anymore, and swimming come immediately to mind.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Spurt There are lots of sports that do not cause head injury or rarely do - baseball, track, tennis, volloyball, soccer,  since they aren't supposed to use their head anymore, and swimming come immediately to mind.

Concussions are not rare in soccer and using one's head (in high school and older) is perfectly legal and done quite often.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

The movie "Consussion" comes to mind when I read about stuff like this.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The movie "Consussion" comes to mind when I read about stuff like this.

@SilleeMee for me, this should be mandatory viewing for both players and parents before their children enter organized sports programs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

And another important point is that we can't just point the finger at youth football and the NFL.....the colleges/universities have to cooperate on player safety too....and again, money is the word here because many rely on their football program to bring in the BIG BUCKS .....................

Oh @Spurt I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear but for me big money is the root of this issue along with many, many others.  I just got through reading an article about how cafeteria workers are struggling to make a living working at Facebook HQ where before FB showed up they all lived a happy and comfortable life in that community . . . as it states in the article, maybe Zuckerburg should check his own neighborhood when investigating how the other half lives . . . smh.

@momtochloe

That saying is so true on so many levels...........I always say,  "follow the money" when it comes to injustices and/or corruption...............

Well maybe Zuckerberg should google the meaning of "share" it seems he could spare a little of his $63.7 BILLION (as of June 2017) with those cafeteria workers and he probably wouldn't even notice the difference in his lifestyle either..........Woman Frustrated

Oh @Spurt thank you this is exactly where I am coming from . . . he's flying around the country for various photo ops when he has a classic example serving lunch at his company's main campus.  Please know I wish him no ill will but for me (and please know I admit I am more than influenced by The Social Network movie in addition to research I have done since)  but  it is all Zuckerburg all the time and if cameras/media happen to be there to capture the moment even better.  

@momtochloe

EXACTLY!!  I'll probably get slammed for this, but it shows Zukerberg's mentality and personality and  Facebook ----IT'S ALL ABOUT SELF, and "look at ME"--- hey look at me, look at my exciting and wonderful life....arent you envious...(yes FB is great to keep in touch with friends/relatives who live all over the world, and especially those that are homebound and unable to travel etc.....fou can find long lost friends, and make friends---those are the people  Im not talking about)
 but it has a dark side too.....it seems to consume some people, it becomes an addiction.... the selfie is the perfect MASCOT!  ---  So Zuckerburg's need to be out there on camera and in front of the media fits right in with his Facebook...... .And then I laugh when I hear these FB Addicts complain that thier errands and even work for their jobs aren't done.(and some have gotten fired for being on FB instead of working, or fired because of what they've written on their Facebook Page)........Oh what world you've created Zukerburg!   He enjoys his BILLIONS, a bit greedy with not sharing with ALL his employees........much like the NFL is greedy in not paying older players when the danger of brain injuries and concussions was discovered....a lawsuit should have never needed to be filed, the NFL should've done the right thing for the older players who were suffering...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

And another important point is that we can't just point the finger at youth football and the NFL.....the colleges/universities have to cooperate on player safety too....and again, money is the word here because many rely on their football program to bring in the BIG BUCKS .....................

Oh @Spurt I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear but for me big money is the root of this issue along with many, many others.  I just got through reading an article about how cafeteria workers are struggling to make a living working at Facebook HQ where before FB showed up they all lived a happy and comfortable life in that community . . . as it states in the article, maybe Zuckerburg should check his own neighborhood when investigating how the other half lives . . . smh.

@momtochloe

That saying is so true on so many levels...........I always say,  "follow the money" when it comes to injustices and/or corruption...............

Well maybe Zuckerberg should google the meaning of "share" it seems he could spare a little of his $63.7 BILLION (as of June 2017) with those cafeteria workers and he probably wouldn't even notice the difference in his lifestyle either..........Woman Frustrated

Oh @Spurt thank you this is exactly where I am coming from . . . he's flying around the country for various photo ops when he has a classic example serving lunch at his company's main campus.  Please know I wish him no ill will but for me (and please know I admit I am more than influenced by The Social Network movie in addition to research I have done since)  but  it is all Zuckerburg all the time and if cameras/media happen to be there to capture the moment even better.  

@momtochloe

EXACTLY!!  I'll probably get slammed for this, but it shows Zukerberg's mentality and personality and it fits write in easily to his development of Facebook ----IT'S ALL ABOUT SELF, and "look at ME"---He and his invention seem to say, hey look at me, look at my exciting and wonderful life....arent you envious...(yesFB is great to keep in touch with friends/relatives who live all over the world, and especially those that are homebound and unable to travel etc.....fyou can find long lost friends, and make friends---those are the people  Im not talking about)
 but it has a dark side too.....it seems to consume some people, it becomes an addiction.... the selfie is the perfect MASCOT!  ---  So Zuckerburg's need to be out there on camera and in front of the media fits right in with his Facebook...... .And then I laugh when I hear these FB Addicts complain that thier errands and even work for their jobs aren't done.(and some have gotten fired for being on FB instead of working, or fired because of what they've written on their Facebook Page)........Oh what world you've created Zukerburg!   

What does fb and its creator have to do with football brain injuries? The sport of football and what it does to their players's bodies happened way before fb came on the scene.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

@momtochloe

@momtochloe

EXACTLY!!  I'll probably get slammed for this, but it shows Zukerberg's mentality and personality and it fits write in easily to his development of Facebook ----IT'S ALL ABOUT SELF, and "look at ME"---He and his invention seem to say, hey look at me, look at my exciting and wonderful life....arent you envious...(yesFB is great to keep in touch with friends/relatives who live all over the world, and especially those that are homebound and unable to travel etc.....fyou can find long lost friends, and make friends---those are the people  Im not talking about)
 but it has a dark side too.....it seems to consume some people, it becomes an addiction.... the selfie is the perfect MASCOT!  ---  So Zuckerburg's need to be out there on camera and in front of the media fits right in with his Facebook...... .And then I laugh when I hear these FB Addicts complain that thier errands and even work for their jobs aren't done.(and some have gotten fired for being on FB instead of working, or fired because of what they've written on their Facebook Page)........Oh what world you've created Zukerburg!   

What does fb and its creator have to do with football brain injuries? The sport of football and what it does to their players's bodies happened way before fb came on the scene.

@JaneMarple

If you followed @momtochloe and my conversations we were talking about how perhaps concussions were kept quiet because both the league and players liked the money it brought in. And how an obession with money often leads to corruption and cover ups and greed. MTC brought up Zuckerberg and his billions and yet the cafeteria workers in his company struggle to make a living, but he portrays his company as one big happy Paradise and giving photo opportunities showing him working alongside the cafeteria workers.

In other words he doesnt seem to distribute his billions too well....a case of obsession with wealth. Meanwhile he never misses a media photo opportunity and talks about how well he treats hiis employees. He's self centered like Facebook and just like the NFL was self centered when the medical community came out with evidence how football caused brain injuries.  The players of the past had to actually file a lawsuit to get compensation from the NFL.  A lawsuit should never have been needed and the NFL should've done the right thing for the older players who were suffering. ---But greed just like Zuckerburg's greed kept them doing the right thing.  (If you read mtc and my entire conversation you will see how the theme of 'follow the money" fits in to many things.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

@momtochloe

@momtochloe

@JaneMarple I believe I was the one to take this thread off course as I mentioned the unbelievable amount of money that has corrupted sports and then posted about Zuckerberg searching for how this country got so far off center when some of the answer he was seeking was serving lunch in his own cafeteria.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

@momtochloe

@momtochloe

@JaneMarple I believe I was the one to take this thread off course as I mentioned the unbelievable amount of money that has corrupted sports and then posted about Zuckerberg searching for how this country got so far off center when some of the answer he was seeking was serving lunch in his own cafeteria.

@momtochloe

I took it a bit off topic too.....but Zuckerburg, the NFL, SOME of the players--the ones who valued money over health, and the NFLPA who didnt take care of the older players all have GREED in common ........to me anyway........

Honored Contributor

@Spurt . . . . Heart