Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Brains . . . so incredibly sad

@momtochloe

And another important point is that we can't just point the finger at youth football and the NFL.....the colleges/universities have to cooperate on player safety too....and again, money is the word here because many rely on their football program to bring in the BIG BUCKS .....................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Baseball players get concussions too,  not to the extent that football and hockey players do. For obvious reasons, the physical contact is not the same. But it does happen. Baseball players can also sustain serious head injuries from being hit by pitches, or pitchers can be hit by line drives hit back to them.

So true, but those are accidents.

Usually these NFL head injuries are legal hits.

Trusted Contributor

My son wanted to play football in high school and I told him no. He wasn't happy with me but I explained that I felt it was too dangerous. I then got a call from the coach who tried to tell me it was perfectly safe and that his boys were on the team. Stood my ground and eventually my son forgave me. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Soccer is another sport where the concussion rate is high.

The percentage of players who get to the NFL is very small.  These parents who are pushing their kids to play, risking concussions, hoping for scholarships, just to play professional football is very small. 

I know. When my friends start talking about this I want to ask them if they realize how small of a chance their kid has on making it.  More power to him if he does.  I've already gotten the teary-eyed call from my friend because her son got hammered during a game and was lying on the field for quite awhile.  She said it took all she had not to go running out there. 

@Lipstickdiva

I remember one high school game in particular, a homecoming game against our biggest rival.....one of the players on our team took a huge hit and lay their motionless on the field.....I can still see his mom make the long walk from the stands to the field to check on her son, you could have heard a pin drop except for the clang of a bell on the homecoming corsage the mom was wearing that her son had given her......An ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital............thankfully the player was OKAY he just had the wind knocked out of him and some bruised ribs...........but what a scary moment!........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

And another important point is that we can't just point the finger at youth football and the NFL.....the colleges/universities have to cooperate on player safety too....and again, money is the word here because many rely on their football program to bring in the BIG BUCKS .....................

Oh @Spurt I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear but for me big money is the root of this issue along with many, many others.  I just got through reading an article about how cafeteria workers are struggling to make a living working at Facebook HQ where before FB showed up they all lived a happy and comfortable life in that community . . . as it states in the article, maybe Zuckerburg should check his own neighborhood when investigating how the other half lives . . . smh.

Respected Contributor

In my opinion, you cannot take the risk out.  You would have to get rid of football.  I don't see that YET - but I could see it in the future.

Right now, I don't think ANYTHING said would make young men choose not to play.  They are totally informed it is dangerous, and they want it anyway.  One thing is youth thinking it will never happen.  Others just take their chances for money and "glory."

It is now a fully informed risk.  Even in the past, they knew it was potentially dangerous.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Concussions transcends all sports...and both genders.

Especially with the popularity of Female MMA,

there are equal opportunity sports concussions.

This is an old topic...and nothing is being done.

I wrote about this 3yrs ago when I saw Tony Dorsett in person:

IMG_2333.jpg

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

Oh @Spurt I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear but for me big money is the root of this issue along with many, many others.  I just got through reading an article about how cafeteria workers are struggling to make a living working at Facebook HQ where before FB showed up they all lived a happy and comfortable life in that community . . . as it states in the article, maybe Zuckerburg should check his own neighborhood when investigating how the other half lives . . . smh.

@momtochloe

That saying is so true on so many levels...........I always say,  "follow the money" when it comes to injustices and/or corruption...............

Well maybe Zuckerberg should google the meaning of "share" it seems he could spare a little of his $63.7 BILLION (as of June 2017) with those cafeteria workers and he probably wouldn't even notice the difference in his lifestyle either..........Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Concussions transcends all sports...and both genders.

Especially with the popularity of Female MMA,

there are equal opportunity sports concussions.

This is an old topic...and nothing is being done.

I wrote about this 3yrs ago when I saw Tony Dorsett in person:

IMG_2333.jpg

@sidsmom another so sad example . . . and as for the MMA, what brainiac thought that this was a good idea? . . . like boxing wasn't bad enough? . . . and all of the money it is making especially that upcoming Floyd/McGregor fight? . . . I give up.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe

@momtochloe

That saying is so true on so many levels...........I always say,  "follow the money" when it comes to injustices and/or corruption...............

Well maybe Zuckerberg should google the meaning of "share" it seems he could spare a little of his $63.7 BILLION (as of June 2017) with those cafeteria workers and he probably wouldn't even notice the difference in his lifestyle either..........Woman Frustrated

Oh @Spurt thank you this is exactly where I am coming from . . . he's flying around the country for various photo ops when he has a classic example serving lunch at his company's main campus.  Please know I wish him no ill will but for me (and please know I admit I am more than influenced by The Social Network movie in addition to research I have done since)  but  it is all Zuckerburg all the time and if cameras/media happen to be there to capture the moment even better.