Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Brains . . . so incredibly sad

[ Edited ]

Any parent who allows their kid to play games like football, boxing & hockey should be forced to have to sit through the movie CONCUSSION. It is extremely eye opening. 

I've heard they believe OJ suffers from this concussion syndrome and that's why he murdered his ex and her friend.It makes them extremely violent.

Honored Contributor

For boys football, the young boy doesn't really have the maturity and knowledge to make an informed decision re: playing.

And does a parent really have the right to say yes to playing for him, knowing there is a high risk for brain injury in the sport?  That's not him making the decision, that's his parent.

Honored Contributor

It is incredibly sad. I love football, but I hate that part of it.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I know Gisele Bundchen (Tom Brady's wife) got a ton of grief for saying Tom has had concussions but I give her credit for speaking out as it is clearly true.  All of my children have had four legs and I am now older and to be honest I would think long and hard about a lot of sports as they are saying even soccer can cause brain related injuries.

@momtochloe

At least they are both aware of the risks and possible impact on their future.........and sadly some didnt have a clue on what could happen.  And to keep the sports alive they are talking about better helmets and equipment and better techniques ....some parents are taking a long look whether they want their kids in sports.......but all kids need some type of physical activity to keep their bodies healthy too....too many sit inside playing video games and on electronics and juvenile diabetes and other diseases are increasing in young kids these days ..........

Most people think of football or soccer when it comes to brain injuries.....but even basketball when I see a player's head hit the hard court floor I think arent they also at risk but little is mentioned in the NBA about it that I've heard for that sport....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Call me crazy but I just don't trust the coaching and medical staff/team doctors and the concussion protocol.  There is too much money in football.

I've even recently heard an NFL player interviewed about all these findings and he started talking about the amazing life he's been able to lead, the things he's been able to afford, the houses, the cars, the vacations, etc. all because of his NFL salary.    It was a trade-off to him.  I wonder how he may feel in 10 years.

@Lipstickdiva

A player is now immediately taken out of the game and sent to the locker room. Thankfully they have to use an independent medical team to make an evaluation and not the team doctor and it is now a several day process...........

@Spurt I am so glad that things are changing in the NFL but I am just sorry it took a multi-million dollar lawsuit for them to implement these protocols.  It always comes down to money which again makes me very sad.

@momtochloe

Both sides are a bit at fault.....the players do have the NFL Players Association to fight for a safe workplace....but sadly when some players are polled they were a lot of players more worried about injuries to their knees possibly causing an end to their career using these new techniques rather than the brain injuries.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Call me crazy but I just don't trust the coaching and medical staff/team doctors and the concussion protocol.  There is too much money in football.

I've even recently heard an NFL player interviewed about all these findings and he started talking about the amazing life he's been able to lead, the things he's been able to afford, the houses, the cars, the vacations, etc. all because of his NFL salary.    It was a trade-off to him.  I wonder how he may feel in 10 years.

@Lipstickdiva

But the same issues apply to someone making a career in the military or law enforcement or a fire fighter.....we recently had a fire fighter die in the line of duty in our city.........there's risk and dangers in their jobs too........  So each person has to make their own individual decision..........

@Spurt I totally get what you are saying but for me what this article drives to the forefront is that these guys thought they were participating in a sport not realizing they may be taking years/decades off of their lives.

Please know God bless our military/police/firefighters that run toward the fight and realize the dangers up front and still choose to serve.  Maybe I'm wrong here but these are just guys that loved the game but were never made aware of the dangers to their health.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

A player is now immediately taken out of the game and sent to the locker room. Thankfully they have to use an independent medical team to make an evaluation and not the team doctor and it is now a several day process...........

I just don't trust them.  There is too much money involved, too many pockets can be lined and palms greased. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

For boys football, the young boy doesn't really have the maturity and knowledge to make an informed decision re: playing.

And does a parent really have the right to say yes to playing for him, knowing there is a high risk for brain injury in the sport?  That's not him making the decision, that's his parent.

As a parent, I wouldn't allow it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

But the same issues apply to someone making a career in the military or law enforcement or a fire fighter.....we recently had a fire fighter die in the line of duty in our city.........there's risk and dangers in their jobs too........  So each person has to make their own individual decision..........

I get what you are saying but I consider police, fire, military, etc. to be necessary.  Playing a game isn't.   However, if as an adult, the decision is made to play, despite the risks, that's one thing.    

For an NFL player to basically say oh well, yeah I may suffer greatly later in life, that's okay because I got to drive fabulous cars and live in an 11,000 square foot home, doesn't sit well with me.     

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I know Gisele Bundchen (Tom Brady's wife) got a ton of grief for saying Tom has had concussions but I give her credit for speaking out as it is clearly true.  All of my children have had four legs and I am now older and to be honest I would think long and hard about a lot of sports as they are saying even soccer can cause brain related injuries.

@momtochloe

At least they are both aware of the risks and possible impact on their future.........and sadly some didnt have a clue on what could happen.  And to keep the sports alive they are talking about better helmets and equipment and better techniques ....some parents are taking a long look whether they want their kids in sports.......but all kids need some type of physical activity to keep their bodies healthy too....too many sit inside playing video games and on electronics and juvenile diabetes and other diseases are increasing in young kids these days ..........

Most people think of football or soccer when it comes to brain injuries.....but even basketball when I see a player's head hit the hard court floor I think arent they also at risk but little is mentioned in the NBA about it that I've heard for that sport....

Oh my friend @Spurt a huge Amen about getting kids back outside and moving!  I guess all sports carry a degree of risk but I guess for me I wish some of the (for lack of a better phrase) velocity could be dialed back a bit . . . I am all for do your best, I am not a fan of win at all costs.