Honored Contributor

NFL Brains . . . so incredibly sad

I don't know if I can copy the article over in its entirety so I will start with the link and take it from there.  How sad that so, so many player's lives were destroyed by playing the game they love but didn't realize so many people knew were so hazardous to their health (please know that last sentence is my personal commentary and not included in the article itself):

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cu...

Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Brains . . . so incredibly sad

I saw this on MSN this morning.

Now this is my personal commentary.  I just do not understand parents allowing their young children to play football knowing all of this.  I have very good friends who have a son who has been playing since he was 11 and he's now 13.  Supposedly he is so good he often gets put up against players twice his size.  His parents have made comments as if he's going to make it big in the NFL.  There is just no way I would allow my child to play.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe

Yes it is sad, neither the NFL nor the players really thought about nor investigaged the risks and dangers, and the play of the game also changed when as early as pop warner and high schoo players were taught to lead with their helmets.  Even when there started to be questions about the dangers or the player knew the danger but didnt want to come out of the game.......Or a coach told a player to go in, or a coach didnt want a player to return to a game, but the player would lie to a coach and say they were okay so they could continue to play.....

Thankfully the medical field is getting involved so that players and the league is are aware of the dangers, and they can take steps to reduce some of them (although they wont be able to elimiate the risks entirely)......and they are starting with the youth with "Heads Up Football" to coach the way to make the game safer by using proper tackling techniques..........And they have a concussion protocol they have to strictly follow.........

But each parent of a player, and player has to weigh all the positives and negatives and make a decision as to whether to pursue a career in football--and whether it is worth the health risks.  To me it's much like someone choosing a career in the military, or as a firefighter, or police person, or rescue worker---there are risks and dangers in these professions too and it's a personal decision, but hopefully a person can review all the facts before they make a decision. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

That and boxing should be done away with.

Respected Contributor

It was so sad when former San Diego Charger Junior Seau committed suicide - later found out to have brain damage.  When I lived in S. Diego I went to all of his games.  He was an amazing person - it was heartbreaking.  Frank Gifford too was diagnosed after he died. 

Honored Contributor

Call me crazy but I just don't trust the coaching and medical staff/team doctors and the concussion protocol.  There is too much money in football.

I've even recently heard an NFL player interviewed about all these findings and he started talking about the amazing life he's been able to lead, the things he's been able to afford, the houses, the cars, the vacations, etc. all because of his NFL salary.    It was a trade-off to him.  I wonder how he may feel in 10 years.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Call me crazy but I just don't trust the coaching and medical staff/team doctors and the concussion protocol.  There is too much money in football.

I've even recently heard an NFL player interviewed about all these findings and he started talking about the amazing life he's been able to lead, the things he's been able to afford, the houses, the cars, the vacations, etc. all because of his NFL salary.    It was a trade-off to him.  I wonder how he may feel in 10 years.

@Lipstickdiva

A player is now immediately taken out of the game and sent to the locker room. Thankfully they have to use an independent medical team to make an evaluation and not the team doctor and it is now a several day process...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I know Gisele Bundchen (Tom Brady's wife) got a ton of grief for saying Tom has had concussions but I give her credit for speaking out as it is clearly true.  All of my children have had four legs and I am now older and to be honest I would think long and hard about a lot of sports as they are saying even soccer can cause brain related injuries.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

But the same issues apply to someone making a career in the military or law enforcement or a fire fighter.....we recently had a fire fighter die in the line of duty in our city.........there's risk and dangers in their jobs too........  So each person has to make their own individual decision..........

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

A player is now immediately taken out of the game and sent to the locker room. Thankfully they have to use an independent medical team to make an evaluation and not the team doctor and it is now a several day process...........

@Spurt I am so glad that things are changing in the NFL but I am just sorry it took a multi-million dollar lawsuit for them to implement these protocols.  It always comes down to money which again makes me very sad.