Honored Contributor

Re: NEW YORK CITY IS IN A BLACKOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Number of customers is not indicative of number of people affected. As the Con Ed people explained last night, a "customer" can be one high rise apartment building. Or condo or office building. Or Madison Square Garden. 

Don't get how anyone's opinion of NYC is relevant to the topic. So it goes here I guess.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I wonder if the lights were also out on the Circle Line cruise.  Would have been fun / interesting.

Respected Contributor

Since I don't live in the small area of Manhattan that was affected and wasn't watching TV, I was unaware of the blackout until this morning. Many conspiracy theorists are saying it was a test run from either Russia or China. Guess we'll never know!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

Not a fan of NYC. Overpriced and congested.

You are entitled to your opinion concerning NYC..

However, your comment was absolutely out of  context regarding the situation that took place.

Your perception seems to imply that if you do not like the place then what happens to the people there does not matter.

Again, you said what you thought, I accept it for what it was, but it had no merit regarding the topic.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Reever, seriously? What about "Gee, I hope there are no injuries or medical emergencies that could lead to death:?

@suzyQ3- This is how @Reever rolls.  smh

Trusted Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@haddon9 

Yes, it was fun. My GF and I decided to do some stuff that as natives (she from Joisey) never do. I never been to the Intrepid - too hot on a metal ship, so that is for cooler weather. 

We also want to visit St John the Divine and the Riverside Church. I meant to go to the Statue of Liberty after the major renovation 1984 (100th anniversary). Still haven't done it but climbed it several times during class trips in Elementary School. I also never visited Ellis Island.

Visited the reflecting pools WTC but cannot go visit the 9/11 museum. I didn't lose anybody but I still can't.

@Yahooey 

If they do Halloween this year, I recommend it to anyone who's never done it. I did it years ago a few times, but, I imagine it's still fun. 

You can go to their website or Google it. 

Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Reever, seriously? What about "Gee, I hope there are no injuries or medical emergencies that could lead to death:?

@suzyQ3- This is how @Reever rolls.  smh

Exactly! Look at where the comment came from. Give the comment the attention it's due............none.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

wow - this got a lot of coverage for a 5 hour power outage. i am glad no one was hurt.

i am surprised that a city so dependent on elevators and subways doesn't have a cogent contingency plan or regulations regarding back-up generators for elevators etc.  i'd be asking questions of local officials if i lived there. or maybe i am just ignorant of it?   a power outage shouldn't be such a big deal in the 21st century.

grateful for the happy ending.

It's not up to the government to make sure that every private building have backup generators. All the hospitals and emergency facilities do have them. 

As for the subway, I can't answer that, but, it's an enormous (and old system). I don't know how feasible that would be. 

Having been stuck in the subway several times in the summer (for short to long periods of time), I can tell you it's a miserable experience. 

I don't think this link includes any ads. It's Seinfeld-- Elaine stuck on train😃:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDjjtgYtMA

Honored Contributor

geezzzz it was not the whole city.... get your facts straight before titleing a thread like this.