Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEW YORK CITY IS IN A BLACKOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Yahooey I work in the WTC area.  I went to the temporary museum,  

but I don’t know that I'll ever go to the museum.  That day iand the days after are engraved in my memory.

@NYCLatinaMe, I understand.

I worked in the World Trade Center.  I haven't been anywhere near there since 2001, and I'm not sure if I'll ever go.

Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

wow - this got a lot of coverage for a 5 hour power outage. i am glad no one was hurt.

i am surprised that a city so dependent on elevators and subways doesn't have a cogent contingency plan or regulations regarding back-up generators for elevators etc.  i'd be asking questions of local officials if i lived there. or maybe i am just ignorant of it?   a power outage shouldn't be such a big deal in the 21st century.

grateful for the happy ending.

It's not up to the government to make sure that every private building have backup generators. All the hospitals and emergency facilities do have them. 

As for the subway, I can't answer that, but, it's an enormous (and old system). I don't know how feasible that would be. 

Having been stuck in the subway several times in the summer (for short to long periods of time), I can tell you it's a miserable experience. 

I don't think this link includes any ads. It's Seinfeld-- Elaine stuck on train😃:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDjjtgYtMA

yes the subway is the government's responsibility - and i don't envy your experiences of being stuck.  NYC can set its own priorities of how to spend its big tax pot.  

since power outages happen, i would be very nervous about living in a skyscraper with windows that don't open - and elevators with no emergency generator.  whether you need regulations or not, yes, this is a matter of NYC control.  at least you can choose what kind of building to live in.

Honored Contributor

I do have to laugh about all the anxiety New Yorkers and its leaders have about the power outage.  Tens of thousands lose power once or twice here every winter and we deal with it because we know it's temporary.  

Respected Contributor

big media news: NYC power outage for 5 hrs

not really covered: yesterday, 130000+ Louisianans w/o power.and suffering flooding.

happy to say the power cos. in Louisiana have brought the above number down greatly.

Con Ed is still trying to figure out what triggered NYC event.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a native New Yorker living in NJ now, but NYC is a scary place in the dark. My husband and I were there to see a Broadway show. We never got to see the show but, it was very interesting to see most people making light of the situation. We were lucky to find a restaurant with light from a generators I assume. we stayed there and hunkered down until the lights came back on. I was very relieved when the lights came back on.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

it came on the 42nd anniversary of the 1977 blackout.

Is that so....I was 12 when that happened. Very interesting.

Contributor

Well girls , I was in that mess on Saturday night. My sister & I came back from DE. after having an enjoyable day with our brother. Just got into Penn Station when they announced a loss of power. We are lucky to be able to get off train when the outage was in full force. Long story short we had to walk 27 blocks to get to her apt. building. Sat in lobby for a while to cool off. Her doormen are the best , brought us cold water & kept us updated as best they could. Fortunately only 2 people stuck in two different elevators but the FDNY guys got them out & thank God they are ok. After lights went back on still couldn’t use the elevators so people were taken to apts. on the freight elevator. Could have walked up during outage ( 19th floor) but after walking 27 blocks we waited. Others were on much higher floors. As I said we are extremely lucky & can laugh about it, sort of. I can go on but won’t bore you, I got back safely to NJ in one piece.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I do have to laugh about all the anxiety New Yorkers and its leaders have about the power outage.  Tens of thousands lose power once or twice here every winter and we deal with it because we know it's temporary.  

It wasn't the NYers who had the anxiety, it was the non NYers on this board.  It takes a lot more than a couple of hours without lights to ruffle our feathers. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

People lose power every day all over the country.  It's uncomfortable, but most people deal with it. 

Honored Contributor

You not only have the people that live in the area but the influx of all the tourists right where power was lost. 

Our town loses power often that’s why we have a generator, but it’s only us here not a bunch of out of state and out of country extra people.