Honored Contributor

NEW RESEARCH: More Genetic Links To Obesity

ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) –New research suggests that diet and exercise are not the only leading roles in obesity, as a new study supports the notion that there are more genetic links to obesity than previously believed.

According to theCDC,more than one-third of U.S. adults are obese. Many obese adults are criticized for lifestyle and behavioral choices, which may not always be the driving factors behind various health issues. The findings may help investigate why some individuals are more likely than others to gain weight.

Obesity treatment experts are taking the first steps toward identifying the specific genes that are contributing to obesity.CBS News reports that the proteins produced by the genes could offer targets for the development of new drugs to fight obesity.

“Although lifestyle modifications may result in lasting weight loss in individuals who are overweight, in those with chronic obesity, body weight seems to become biologically ‘stamped in’ and defended.”

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2015/02/13/new-research-shows-more-genetic-links-to-obesity/

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: NEW RESEARCH: More Genetic Links To Obesity

This is really good news for possible individualized treatment:

"Obesity treatment experts are taking the first steps toward identifying the specific genes that are contributing to obesity.CBS News reports that the proteins produced by the genes could offer targets for the development of new drugs to fight obesity."

Respected Contributor

Hi Noel! This is good news, I have heard several promising stories in this field recently.

Just from personal observation, I truly believe the strong genetic component. I have seen little bitty girls, maybe two or three years old, with the same extreme pear shaped overweight bodies that their mother had.

Super Contributor

I think that it is a combination of both genetics, and lifestyle.

One can be predisposed to being obese, but with that knowledge, take steps, like eating a healthy diet, and exercising, so that they don't become obese.

Forewarned is fore armed, sorta thing.

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 minkbunny said:

Hi Noel! This is good news, I have heard several promising stories in this field recently.

Just from personal observation, I truly believe the strong genetic component. I have seen little bitty girls, maybe two or three years old, with the same extreme pear shaped overweight bodies that their mother had.

Hi Minky Smile

IMO some of the biggest health news coming out has to do with individualized treatment based on each person. It's happening with cancer and there's hope it will make a real difference. I hope that's true for obesity, also.

We already know we all have a lot of genetic material that doesn't get triggered, and that includes some which brings on diabetes. It can happen with one twin and not the other.

If they can find that trigger for obesity, it would be wonderful for so many people Smile

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2015 Plaid Pants said:

One can be predisposed to being obese, but with that knowledge, take steps, like eating a healthy diet, and exercising, so that they don't become obese.

That's not at all what they're saying, Plaid. But that is what they used to think, years ago. This is different.

Respected Contributor

Exactly, same as if one had a family history of diabetes or heart disease, etc. One would know from day one that there was a strong genetic component that had to be battled along with lifestyle and nutrition. How many times has a person said, Oh, everybody in this family has always been big? Perhaps there is a reason why and just knowing that would be the incentive to work even harder. Hopefully so.

If a gene could be isolated that could be treated through specific drug therapy (other than just weight loss medications), that would be a great breakthrough.

Honored Contributor

One can be predisposed to being obese, but with that knowledge, take steps, like eating a healthy diet, and exercising, so that they don't <em>become</em> obese.

Exactly, same as if one had a family history of diabetes or heart disease, etc. One would know from day one that there was a strong genetic component that had to be battled along with lifestyle and nutrition. How many times has a person said, Oh, everybody in this family has always been big? Perhaps there is a reason why and just knowing that would be the incentive to work even harder. Hopefully so.

That's not it, Minky.

Example: "in those with chronic obesity, body weight seems to become biologically ‘stamped in’ and defended."

More on the link.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I understand that, Noel. My post was submitted before I was finished regarding the possible gene discovery, etc. Exciting news for many generations, I am sure.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I understand that, Noel. My post was submitted before I was finished regarding the possible gene discovery, etc. Exciting news for many generations, I am sure.

I really hope this is breakthrough news, it could help so many people! Smile