Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH A BIRD ASAP

@LindaSal wrote:

So sorry, I know it can be heartbreaking to feel helpless.  We've had this happen a few times over the years.  You certainly cannot handle the bird without gloves at least.  

Sometimes it's just better to let nature take it's course.   Best of luck.

You don't need gloves!  I've handled birds I've found crying for help after falling from the nest.  I've handled them - plenty!  You won't catch anything.  

And, what about all of us creatures helping each other out when in need?

Respected Contributor

I don't know.  It's all brown.  No color like a robin, cardinal, etc.  I thought at first it may have broke or injured its leg.  It does have one eye.  The bird doesn't keep its neck "straight" keeps it turned to side in a slight switching motion.  I got a box, put a towel in it and covered top of box (not all the way) with a small lightweight dish towel.  It's outside in the shade.  Thankfully it's a lot cooler today.  I don't know what else to do at the moment.  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

What happened to it? What kind of bird is it? 

I don't know.  It has one eye.  It's not trying to fly.  Just sits there on the ground.  It's a small brown bird.  No other colors to it.

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@ScrapHappy - Don't know where you are located, but the Wildlife Center of Virginia is a wonderful facility.

What kind of bird and what happened? Did it hit a window? 

What state are you in that might help.

It may have hit window.  We've had birds do that before but never hurt enough to stick around.  I can't get any help.  Township even gives me a number that is no longer in use.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I don't know.  It's all brown.  No color like a robin, cardinal, etc.  I thought at first it may have broke or injured its leg.  It does have one eye.  The bird doesn't keep its neck "straight" keeps it turned to side in a slight switching motion.  I got a box, put a towel in it and covered top of box (not all the way) with a small lightweight dish towel.  It's outside in the shade.  Thankfully it's a lot cooler today.  I don't know what else to do at the moment.  

It's probably a wren imho.  Just wanted to mention it could be dangerous outside.  Predators could get it!  Inside is safer or at least somewhere where other animals cannot get to it.

Honored Contributor

When I found an injured starling in my yard it was motionless but breathing. I put it in a covered box, out of the sun and in a cool place. After about 10 minutes I opened the box and the bird flew away. Apparently the bird must have passed out from something it hit, or whatever. The point here is to protect the bird from being attacked by other animals by placing it in a covered box then go and check it frequently. If the poor thing hasn't regained its strength to fly away, I don't know what else can be done...especially on a holiday like today.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Any veterinary schools in the area?

The second bird I "rescued" I eventually brought to Tufts Veterinary Wildlife Division of the teaching hospital.  I had gotten very attached to him-her - actually the Bluejay had thought I was its momma.  Heartbreaking, but the kindest thing to do was leave it with them.  It was healthy even thought t had fallen from really high up from a tree!  Tufts had different people in different areas of my state (MA) trained in rehabing birds back into wildlife.  Anyways, I think of Babee to this day.  So, I understand what you're going thru as I had called everywhere when I found Babee.  There is a procedure in effect, you just gotta find it.

In the meantime, I made a bed for Babee using a shoebox, cotton balls, facecloths - I used a lightweight facecloth 'tented' across the shoebox at night and also found a larger box to put the shoebox in at nite when it was in the kitchen alone.  Use napkins or paper towels inside the 'bed' to clean up the poop (looks like Barbasol shaving cream).  They don't wet so one napkin is thick enough.

I fed it hanburgeer meat - just pulled apart couple pieces and fed - pretended it was a worm.  Guess they don't drink 'cause Babee never drank anything for the few months we had him/her.  

Also you can put the bird on your chest while watching TV or just in you hand - they need the closeness, imho.  Birds adapt just like our pups and kitties.  They understand when we talk to them and quickly learn our routine.  I've found them quite sociable.

Hopefully you'll find where to bring this baby asap.  We've got a bird wildlife place around here I've learned.  That's another place you could call to rehome.

Good Luck!

I called my local township, not much help.  The number they gave me is no longer in service.  Everything seemse to be closed because of the holiday.  Animal rescues in my area only take cats and dogs.  No vets open.  Even the non emergency police number has no answer.  I did put a towel in a box and put the bird in it.  I covered the top of the box (not all the way) with a lightweight dish towel.  It's in the shade, under trees.  Cool there.  I will try to do wht I can and hopefully find someone tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy     If it is  in pain.... call a vet and ask if you can bring it in  to be put to sleep... I did this with a baby squirrel... the vet did not even charge me. It is the most humane thing to do. 

Respected Contributor

I'm in Georgia.  I called local animal control.  They gave me a number of some wildlife place that is no longer in service.  Everything is made much more difficult because of the holiday.  

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I found an injured starling in my yard it was motionless but breathing. I put it in a covered box, out of the sun and in a cool place. After about 10 minutes I opened the box and the bird flew away. Apparently the bird must have passed out from something it hit, or whatever. The point here is to protect the bird from being attacked by other animals by placing it in a covered box then go and check it frequently. If the poor thing hasn't regained its strength to fly away, I don't know what else can be done...especially on a holiday like today.

Yes, I did this.  It's in a box and protected.  Still doesn't seem to be doing much.  Hopefully at this point I can take care of it until I can call somewhere tomorrow.