Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP TO DELETE PERSONAL INFO

If you have a common name forget about it. My info is mixed up with another person with the same name. I never lived in half the places listed.😩🙄

Valued Contributor

I vaguely seem to remember that years ago, it was discovered that, for some time, the DMV had/has been regularly releasing driver's info, (unbeknown to drivers).  i dont recall what became of that "problem,"  or even if, after the fact, it was correctable.  Seems WRONG to me!

I know that years ago, when I google earth'd my own address, the pic clearly showed my Car License Plate.  I filled out the form on the site, and it was blurred later on. 

But as another here has said, essentially, you have to GIVE them yr INFO in order to REMOVE yr INFO.   Does that make sense?  But then again, how do they know it's really you?

I think that's called "damned if you do, damned if you dont"

I dont know the solution... really...but I know it unnerving!

Good luck!

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

@TwinkleBell    It doesn't really matter if you have to give them basic information because they already have it or can access it. Its not a secret by any means.  Google knows everything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@zitawins 

Yes,  it's unnerving.   But our personal information is worth $$$ .... it is bought and sold and keeps making the rounds all over the place.  

I recently read that every single thing you have ever googled, Google will keep FOREVER.  I'm reminding everyone that forgot that we should all be using DuckDuckGo.   

California has a Do Not Sell My Name law, but I have neglected to investigate it.  Will do so, stat.

I don't know what other states are working to curtail this problem, but I hope we are all, collectively, putting pressure on those that can do something about it.   This is not good.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Honored Contributor

@zitawins Yes, it is disconcerting and often the information is incorrect.  Employer's (or future employer's) have access and can make incorrect assumptions.  There are complete instructions online on how to remove this information.  It is time consuming and involves getting in touch with each agency.  Some will follow-through, others not so much and the information can return.

If you do not want to do this personally, you can hire companies (also listed online) that, for a fee, will go through the process for you.  You will have to provide the social media creeps of all your current information which can make matters worse.  Also, clicking on the fine print at the bottom of a post asking to be removed ofter results in ignore or even worse.  

Much of the information is public.  If it really concerns you take a look at the process to get it removed, hunker down and get in touch with each of the social media websites that they list.  Then use Duck Duck Go and get a VPN...it won't cure all.  I have thought that if someone would offer a legit workshop in going through this process, they would make a chunk of change.

Good luck...would love to hear from someone who has gone through the process.

Esteemed Contributor

@zitawins 

Have no help for you, but will say this. Privacy, as we know it, disappeared decades ago. As as wireless technology advanced over the years?  I am sure you have heard the "if you put something on the internet or cloud", it will be there through infinity.

Privacy today is a myth, just look around you every where you go. And if you take your cell phone? They know your every move

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all who replied. I'm thinking a VPN is the way to go. I know all about privacy on the internet, but I'd still like to give it a try.

Zitawins

Honored Contributor

I think you can eliminate some of your personal information, but I doubt if you can all of it.

For one thing, some information is public.  Many county records are made public on purpose, for example.  

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Un-nerving isn't it?  The wonderful world of today's technology.

I get a chuckle when Q is selling paper shredders......shred that paper so the garbage dumpster thieves can't get your personal info.    However, every time you pay a bill via check - your name - address - perhaps phone # and ....bank account number is shown on the check.  

That's enough information to at least get started to do bad things.

Google takes a picture of your house and another screen lists who lives in that house and their ages  That's life today............sorry.

compare shredding paper trail to USING, dial up internet.... WORTHLESS....😂

Esteemed Contributor

Still pondering the OP about a VIN number.  Of all the things to worry about.

I was this old before I discovered it is on the door frame AND the little plate by the windshield.