Valued Contributor

NEED HELP TO DELETE PERSONAL INFO

Does anyone know how to delete personal info on those "people search" sites? I think it is an invasion of my privacy. When I googled my name, it shows my address, phone and email #s, age, etc.  All of it nobody's business!

Any help will be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED HELP TO DELETE PERSONAL INFO

@zitawins  You may want to check out installing a VPN on your computer.  The purpose of the VPN is to enhance the security of personal data. I personally have not tried one, but hear a lot of promotional advertising for them on podcasts. Perhaps someone here who does use a VPN can provide more clarity than I have offered up. 

Super Contributor

There is an article on the cnbc page.

Trusted Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

Does anyone know how to delete personal info on those "people search" sites? I think it is an invasion of my privacy. When I googled my name, it shows my address, phone and email #s, age, etc.  All of it nobody's business!

There's usually somewhere on the very bottom of the information page that you're on on these sites where you can click on some sort of "privacy" link.

You then have to follow the information given in the privacy section on what to do in order to delete your information from the site.

They don't make it easy to either find the privacy section or to delete your information.

The problem too is that your information can come back to these sites as well, over time.

Esteemed Contributor

Un-nerving isn't it?  The wonderful world of today's technology.

I get a chuckle when Q is selling paper shredders......shred that paper so the garbage dumpster thieves can't get your personal info.    However, every time you pay a bill via check - your name - address - perhaps phone # and ....bank account number is shown on the check.  

That's enough information to at least get started to do bad things.

Google takes a picture of your house and another screen lists who lives in that house and their ages  That's life today............sorry.

Honored Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

When I googled my name, it shows my address, phone and email #s, age, etc.  All of it nobody's business!

@zitawins   I posted some info in the following post........

Googled My Name -- Discovered This

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

There was a report by Jeff Rossen tonight on ABC on how to remove personal info from Google which is probably the source of what you see all over the internet.  He said the directions were posted on his website but they were very complicated.  Google is supposed to simplify it eventually.  I'm not holding my breath.  Google seems to rule the universe.  People don't realize how extensive their power is.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@fthunt True but I don't pay any bills by check. All done on line.

Esteemed Contributor

I really feel like this should be illegal. I can find my VIN number - why is that public information?? An estimate of my net worth, in addition to my address (current and previous). It’s absolutely ridiculous.

And to opt out? Have to provide an email and phone number.
Respected Contributor

@fthunt The only personal info which ever appeared on my checks were my first initial and last name. No first name, no address, and no phone number. Sadly though, thieves have moved on to the real treasure trove of information today: online activity. As we've seen, hackers can get into anything.

What worries you masters you.