Honored Contributor

Re: NEED ADVICE FROM MEDICAL MARIJUANA USERS

@Lindsays Grandma  Lately there have been a few states who say they've approved MM but they certainly are struggling because they've no idea what they are doing in writing their laws about every part of it.

I'm in Ohio, it was approved here in 2016. We've yet to see anything good in the process. The first one or two approved growers just began their harvesting but have nowhere to go with it. There are no up and running testing labs, no dispensaries, not one approved patient yet. I don't even know if anyone has been called in for chats/exams with approved Drs in the state. It's a total joke.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD  What you are saying is so true.  Legalization is in its infancy stage.  That's why I call it the Wild Wild West at this point.  Some states are legalized and it is meaningless because it is still a challenge to obtain any product.  I'm hoping that over the years, there will be more consistency, standardization, and availability.

In the meantime, if you are lucky enough to live in a state where you can buy herbals and you have educated yourself, you can begin to avail yourself to a possible pain management strategy that will offer you relief without the dangerous side effects of prescriptive medication.  It can be the difference between uncontrollable pain to manageable for some, or perhaps if your child has life threatening epilepsy seizures or not. Dr. Bonnie Goldstein is a well respected MD and the author of Cannabis Revealed: How the world's most misunderstood plant is healing everything from chronic pain to epilepsy.  She specializes in working with children with severe disease/disabilities.    She has been able to change the course of children's/families lives and she is just one example.   Herbals can be life changing for those with debilitating chronic pain.  However access and education are necessary.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Remember that some states regulate medical marijuana differently than others...and I wouldn't stop your current meds unless you coordinate the change to the marijuana with your current doctor. Unfortunately, it has been made to sound like a miracle cure for everything in order to get it legalized....but it does not help everyone with pain or seizure control...I hope you are successful if you decide to give it a try. It is certainly worth a try if you can get some pain relief.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma  Lately there have been a few states who say they've approved MM but they certainly are struggling because they've no idea what they are doing in writing their laws about every part of it.

I'm in Ohio, it was approved here in 2016. We've yet to see anything good in the process. The first one or two approved growers just began their harvesting but have nowhere to go with it. There are no up and running testing labs, no dispensaries, not one approved patient yet. I don't even know if anyone has been called in for chats/exams with approved Drs in the state. It's a total joke.

Here in Arizona they have been up and running since the first day of approval.  Sorry Ohio hasn't got their act together.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD  What you are saying is so true.  Legalization is in its infancy stage.  That's why I call it the Wild Wild West at this point.  Some states are legalized and it is meaningless because it is still a challenge to obtain any product.  I'm hoping that over the years, there will be more consistency, standardization, and availability.

In the meantime, if you are lucky enough to live in a state where you can buy herbals and you have educated yourself, you can begin to avail yourself to a possible pain management strategy that will offer you relief without the dangerous side effects of prescriptive medication.  It can be the difference between uncontrollable pain to manageable for some, or perhaps if your child has life threatening epilepsy seizures or not. Dr. Bonnie Goldstein is a well respected MD and the author of Cannabis Revealed: How the world's most misunderstood plant is healing everything from chronic pain to epilepsy.  She specializes in working with children with severe disease/disabilities.    She has been able to change the course of children's/families lives and she is just one example.   Herbals can be life changing for those with debilitating chronic pain.  However access and education are necessary.  

phoenixbrd, the book you mentioned sounds interesting.  Is it something people like me should read?  Will it give insight in how to use it?  Your posts tell me you are knowledgeable about the subject and I have enjoyed reading them.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

@luvdoodles  I am just jumping in here without reading all of the other comments....my son has constant head pain from sustaining a brain injury in a football game.  Opoids don’t help at all.  From our experience, he needed some THC in his medical cannabis as only CBD did not help the pain.  CBD oil definitely helped the anxiety from the brain injury, but not the pain.  He really doesn’t like to get high either, but there are many different kinds of cannabis. Look up on Leafly to investiage the different kinds and what they do.  Try some that has a lower amount of THC in addition to the CBD for pain.  One of the nice benefits from taking the medical cannabis (aside from FINALLY giving him a break from the significant, constant pain) was that it seemed to help him the next day too.  It was a blessing, but now we are back in our home state (we had to go out of state for treatment) and you can’t even get it medically here.  I think it’s inhumane, really.  God bless all of you dealing with pain and bless your journey to find relief with cannabis.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Lindsays GrandmaMy SO has severe pain in his back from several problems and has tried so many things and surgeries with little reduction in pain.  The doctor at the pain clinic he goes to said medical marijuana is an option but he would need to go off of his other meds entirely before it could be prescribed as mixing them could cause many serious negative issues and no doctor would/should prescribe it for anyone on opiods.  He said there have been great results from using it for so many but not a sure thing.

I would think the best information you could get would be from the doctor at the pain clinic you go to.

Believe me when I say the pain clinic I go to is not a proponent of medical marijuana.  Suggesting I try it will certainly raise their eyebrows since they are a competitor.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  God knows if this state ever will either. Now on the local news they said it will be the start of next year before anything is even available. Two growers in the Cleveland area are in the midst of harvesting but with no testing labs approved yet, what's going to happen with their harvests?

This state has also created HB 523 which ignorantly  has now ruled CBD products 'illegal' and we now need a MMC to purchase them.

We al know there is NO THC in and CBD products. How stupid can the so-called lawmakers can be. Perhaps THEY need to educate themselves prior to creating laws they clearly know nothing about. It's truly embarrassing to those of us who are more in the know.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  Reading is education so I'll jump in and say yes. Let's all arm ourselves in this brand new world that has already begun proving this plant has qualities to heal many problems for many humans.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma   You might want to go to  Amazon and check out the many reviews on the book....you will gain insight just by reading the reviews (5 stars) and then make a decision if it is what you are looking for. Dr. Goldstein is a dedicated knowledgeable force in this movement. Unfortunately, she is no longer accepting new patients.

There is a lot of free information on the Internet (Leafy was mentioned in one of the posts ; you might want to check out Project CBD which has a user's manual which you might find helpful - all free).  

After reading the above posts, I realized there are some common misconceptions regarding the use of herbals.  Both hemp (no medical card needed but can contain less than .3% THC) and marijuana (THC and medical card needed) are cannabis plants.  And, yes, I can understand why clinics would be threatened by the use of these plants.  Hopefully, in the future doctors will receive training in the medicinal use of these herbs.(Already being used on cancer patients in a pharmaceutical form - unfortunately, isolates do not contain all the benefits of the whole plant.)  However, the money is in opiates...but that is a political issue which unfortunately threatens the use of these miraculous plants (which prior to 1940s were used as medicine).  And a whole other discussion.

If you research and read a lot you will become educated so you know the questions to ask when you go to a dispensary. I could give you a list, but if you do the research you can find prepared questions to ask.  Read the reviews on the dispensaries in your area, talk to the "bud tenders" do not feel intimidated they are there to answer your questions, go to a couple of the dispensaries if you have that option and see where you feel comfortable.  Be sure to ask about discounts - senior, days of the week, etc.There are too many misconceptions, but being armed with knowledge will help you find the right solution for you.  I'm wishing you the best and hope that you find your answers to pain relief throughout this journey.  Living in consant chronic pain should not be an option for anyone, if it can be helped. Much love.