Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Happy with Whirlpool. Hate french door model -- had one and replaced it with my older Whirlpool side-by-side that was out in the garage. There is a design flaw in the french door style that causes problems with the light switch and other sensors in the freezer compartment freezing up. Every time you open the freezer compartment warm air rushes into the rear of the area, then is trapped when you close the drawer and it ices up. I had 3 service calls, replaced parts and sensors - had a Maytag.

Will never have french door model again.

Wow, makes perfect sense.  We have a GE Profile french door and our keeps freezing up, then it thaws and leaks on the floor.  We had the repairman fix it the first time.  All you do is shut it off, open it up and let it all thaw out.  Then it works for several more months.  It is a pain though!  I never thought about it being a design flaw.

I don't think I want another one either.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I tried to talk my daughter out of buying a Samsung washer and dryer, but I was too late.

@Shelbelle  I LOVE my Samsung front loading Washer and Dryer!!! I've had them for a few years now.  No problems and my clothes are so clean. People say you can't open and add things with front loaders, but you can with mine!

Super Contributor

Stainless steel side-by-side whirlpool has served us well for 10 years. Only one repair needed during that time--a coil "thingy" to get the ice maker working again. Had to replace the box. That's it. Cost us about $150-190 with labor. Local appliance repairman able to do that and not have to call Sears to come.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs

You must be there when it's delivered to make sure the darn thing is working!  Please let us know what you ordered!

Esteemed Contributor

We can't get one until we get back down to Florida.  We were going to order and have it delivered before we got down there and have our house checker take the delivery.  After reading that if there is a problem off the get go, it has to be reported within 3 days.  We are going to go the day we get down there and take care of it.  I think I have one picked out and DH is going to call Lowes and see if they have this one in stock.  They have an appliance sale (10% off) good until Oct 31.  We aren't getting down there until after that.  If they have one in stock, he is going to see if he can secure the sale price with a credit card. 

I hate going into the house without a refrigerator.  Oh well, thank God, Irma didn't damage our home down there, so I can't really complain.  We were also wondering if there may be a shortage of appliances because of IRMA. 

I will let you know as this thing progresses LOL, @Justice4all.

BTW, I am leaning toward a Whirlpool french door.  ..... but that is today Smiley Happy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

My daughter just brought one, don't know brand, and it cost her 4,500.00.  It does everything but cook.  Has receipes and you don't have to open door to see inside contents.  When she goes shopping if she forgot to list something on her i phone, she puts in a password to the refrig at home and she can see what's in the frig. from the store.

It also plays music and you can watch TV.  I am from the day of ice boxes and thrilled when my grandma got a refrig after WWII.  That lasted 30+ years.

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

My daughter just brought one, don't know brand, and it cost her 4,500.00.  It does everything but cook.  Has receipes and you don't have to open door to see inside contents.  When she goes shopping if she forgot to list something on her i phone, she puts in a password to the refrig at home and she can see what's in the frig. from the store.

It also plays music and you can watch TV.  I am from the day of ice boxes and thrilled when my grandma got a refrig after WWII.  That lasted 30+ years.

@qvcaddition  I think the days of appliances lasting 30+  years are over.  We are lucky if they last 10 no matter what you pay for them.  I think it is the same thing with vacuums.  I have bought $$$$ and I have bought $, they both clean and they both last the same amount of time.  Sometimes you don't get what you pay for. 

Respected Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW REFRIGERATOR

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs

What about Election Day sales?

Check-I've seen a lot of complaints about french doors....

Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all  That is what I am replacing.  I actually liked it.  It was going on 10 years old - I know, still a baby........

20171023_160920.jpeg

20171023_160936.jpeg

The model number is WRF555SDFZ and it has pretty good reviews.  It looks almost identical to the one I had. 

I hate making these decisions!!! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs

Day 2-still working though I heard a brief knock knock from the upper right side about 3:30 am!

Mine is basic - yours is fancy!