Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I also live in Florida and I have a Samsung, although I love it, I find it is hard to find someone to repair it and the parts are not readily available. For that reason, when I have to buy a new refrigerator, I am going with Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE. In other words I am sticking with American made. Mine is a side by side but next time I think I will get a french door model but I have to have ice and water through the door. 

GE is out of the appliance business, they sold to Haier, a Chinese company.  You probably will find leftover GE's in stores.  Myself, I wouldn't touch any GE appliance with a ten foot pole because of past experience.

Super Contributor

We bought a new LG french door refrigerator with two freezer drawers on the bottom.  We love it NOW, but it took 8 service calls to get the ice maker working.  I was so disgusted before they got it working that I didn’t know what to do!

Finally made an in-store visit to the manager of Lowes and she assured me that if they didn't get it working the next (8th) service call she would take over and get us a new refrigerator.  I actually think this should have been done after the 3rd failed repair attempt, but there is a process to work through on everything.

During the conversation with the manager I asked what brand did they have the LEAST amount of trouble with.  She didn’t answer that question directly, but said the most problems and complaints are with LG and Samsung.  

As I said at the beginning, we love the refrigerator now, but it was really difficult to keep my temper with the repairman, his company and Lowes.  

Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

They may have improved them but we bought a new LG French Door 10 years ago when we built this house.  It was a POS from day one.   About six weeks after the ONE year warranty was up, the ice maker stopped dropping ice into the bin and now it doesn't make ice at all. Nothing like making ice in trays in your almost $3000 refrigerator. The plastic , yes plastic shelves started cracking and the tracks that the crispers 'glide' on started breaking.   I wish it would die but we just put up with it until it does or we move.   

I'll never buy another LG kitchen appliance.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We just purchased a new frige. We got and LG and really like it.

has that new front (I believe stainless) that does not smear, fingerprints not left behind.  The inside is very roomy in the fridge part.the freezer part to me is smaller than our old frige.

the nice lighting this LG has is excellent. All LED lights. open up the doors and you get an excellent aray of lighting. the lights are built into the compartment so you have no light bulbs in the way to knock and break.

My frige does nothave all that new fangle ice/water stuff on the door.  This is just plain ol' top freezer, bottom frige.

Respected Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW REFRIGERATOR

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

@tends2dogs, read responses to this thread that is currently in the Kitchen forum:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Kitchen/Emergency-Refrigerator-Recommendations-Please/m-p/4163981#M1538...

Thanks for posting this link!  I never saw it last week.  That OP was asking the same question - I wonder what she ended up buying. 

I had a lot better luck when I got my Speed Queen washing machine based on answers to my query on this forum!  So far the consensus on my thread begging for refrigerator recommendations is that there is NO CONSENSUS!

And I have no more time to research as my husband is DESPERATE!  So he is allowing the landlady to pick out something to be delivered tomorrow.  I'll let you know - it's a surprise!  And pee-yew - we have a lot of cleaning up to do!

NO GE!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@gizmogal wrote:

@tends2dogs, read responses to this thread that is currently in the Kitchen forum:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Kitchen/Emergency-Refrigerator-Recommendations-Please/m-p/4163981#M1538...

Thanks for posting this link!  I never saw it last week.  That OP was asking the same question - I wonder what she ended up buying. 

I had a lot better luck when I got my Speed Queen washing machine based on answers to my query on this forum!  So far the consensus on my thread begging for refrigerator recommendations is that there is NO CONSENSUS!

And I have no more time to research as my husband is DESPERATE!  So he is allowing the landlady to pick out something to be delivered tomorrow.  I'll let you know - it's a surprise!  And pee-yew - we have a lot of cleaning up to do!

NO GE!!!!!!!

@Justice4all  Please let us know what you got!  Hope you like it!!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Buying a new fridge is almost like buying a new car. So many options to choose from...color, size and features. Just buy the one you can afford and hope it doesn't break down.

Respected Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW REFRIGERATOR

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs

The landlady chose a Frigidaire which came yesterday.  It's quiet, simple and chintzy inside.  But I'm happy enough, so far.  It has a 5 year contract.  

Let's bet on how long it lasts!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all  We can only hope LOL!

We went looking the other day and EVERY brand is plastic and chintzy inside and  they all look alike inside.......really.   I feel like it is a little like the lottery.......

BTW  I like quiet and simple.......the less bells and whistles the less that can go wrong.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Kenmore.  It hasn't given me any trouble, but the inside was obviously designed by a bachelor.

There were too many shelves inside--perfect for storing pizza boxes and beer cans, but not much else--so I had to take one out.

The door is similarly arranged, with beer and condiment storage clearly a priority.

I don't really care because it's just me and my guinea pig, but I would hate the thing if I had to share it with anyone else.  

So make sure you look inside and ask yourself if the design makes sense.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org