Esteemed Contributor

About a month before IRMA, our refrigerator in Florida went bad.  It wasn't that old, but it wasn't fixable and the smell couldn't be removed.

We are going to look at potential models while we are still up north and if we find something we like, we will try to find it down there and have it delivered before we get down there.  Most likely it will be from Lowes or Home Depot. 

Here is my question:  It is pretty overwhelming with all the choices of brands.  I want the french door style.  Can any of you recommend a brand that you have been happy with?  OR unhappy with?  Of course I will read reviews online, too, but would love any feedback I can get from my fellow forum pals.

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I also live in Florida and I have a Samsung, although I love it, I find it is hard to find someone to repair it and the parts are not readily available. For that reason, when I have to buy a new refrigerator, I am going with Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE. In other words I am sticking with American made. Mine is a side by side but next time I think I will get a french door model but I have to have ice and water through the door. 

Honored Contributor

I have a 15 year old Kitchenaide that I have had no trouble with.I just had to replace a door shelve though as the plastic cracked and broke.The other door shelves have small cracks too.

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW REFRIGERATOR

[ Edited ]

Whirlpool or LG.

It is very difficult to have a Samsung appliance repaired, some repair guys wont touch them

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Happy with Whirlpool. Hate french door model -- had one and replaced it with my older Whirlpool side-by-side that was out in the garage. There is a design flaw in the french door style that causes problems with the light switch and other sensors in the freezer compartment freezing up. Every time you open the freezer compartment warm air rushes into the rear of the area, then is trapped when you close the drawer and it ices up. I had 3 service calls, replaced parts and sensors - had a Maytag.

Will never have french door model again.

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I also live in Florida and I have a Samsung, although I love it, I find it is hard to find someone to repair it and the parts are not readily available. For that reason, when I have to buy a new refrigerator, I am going with Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE. In other words I am sticking with American made. Mine is a side by side but next time I think I will get a french door model but I have to have ice and water through the door. 

@conlt  We bought this house in 2014.  When I first saw the refrigerator, I was disappointed that it had ice and water dispensers on the front. I thought it messed up the look of the front.  Well, a long story short, I LOVE THEM, and I would never have one without it.  The minute I push the ice dispenser, our dog, Willie, comes running because he wants a cube!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Side by sides are my fave, and you certainly can have ice and water through the door with any type.

Respected Contributor

I will tell you that on my Samsung it was the ice and water that broke. I woke up one morning and there was water all over the kitchen floor. Now I have 3 Shelties and I looked at them and said "did you have a party last night, what did you do?" as I was saying that water suddenly poured out of the water on the door just like someone was filling their cup. I could not find anyone to repair it but I did have someone come out and try and his disabled the motor so I have been living without my ice and water on the door now for about 3 years. That started my discovery on how hard it is to get the Samsung's and LG's fixed. The parts are not available and the repairmen don't want to touch them. I live in St. Augustine, so it is not like I am in rural Florida. In addition to the repair people we have here, we also have resources out of Jacksonville. Although the Samsung is sleek I am sticking to American made. I replaced my Samsung washer and dryer with Whirlpool. Again I had difficulty finding someone to repair the washer. Sears does do the repairs but my washer kept breaking and it was only 7 years old. I kept my dryer until it broke and just bought a Whirlpool to replace it in stead of spending hundreds of dollar for a repair. I will say that ice and water on the door are usually the first thing to break on any refrigerator. 

Esteemed Contributor

Don’t buy a Samsung.  Mine had to have 3major repairs within the first year of owning it.