Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom    I've heard people say memory foam is hot, however, I have a mattress on one bed and a topper on another and have never had a hot night on either.  I always sleep with the window open and pile on the blankets but am never hot.  I've been sleeping on foam for over 15 years and have had many toppers.  I love them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

mattresses come in all price ranges and most stores offer 'easy pay': long term payment with no interest rates. between sale prices and easy pays, hopefully do-able for you. 

toppers are only an 'iffy' temporary fix. in the long run, best to replace an old mattress. trust me: I just replaced a FORTY year old one after years of different ineffective toppers.

good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW MATTRESS

[ Edited ]

I also do not like memory foam.  Just ordered my 2nd Inofia hybrid mattress in a box from Amazon.  Got an 8" and gonna put it in the guest room and got myself a 10" to go on my bed.  

Most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on.  It contours to your body with support.  I love it. 

P.S.  They are on sale right now!

Esteemed Contributor

We bought a nice quality Sera Queen Inter spring mattress with pillow top 15 years ago.  We have always used various 2" memory foam toppers ( the kind that have a "cool" side). We're getting close to life span for our mattress but never expected it to last this long.

Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest can you turn your current mattress over or change foot to head to see if you can get some back relief while you shop for new mattress?

Super Contributor

I got a new mattress in July.  I do not replace my mattresses that often.  Certainly not by the manufacturer's guidelines, lol!  For that reason, I knew Idid not want a memory foam one.  I purchased one with coils from The Original Mattress Factory.  They are headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio.  I have been very happy with their product!

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   Have you gone to a doctor?  It sounds like you could have a herniated disk problem.  

This type of pain often will travel down one side of the body and it can be pretty painful.

A new and different mattress won't get rid of the problem, but if yours is truly worn out, it might help in addition to medical care.

I wish you the best. Sleep well.

Trusted Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW MATTRESS

[ Edited ]

I agree memory foam is terrible. Even in shoes...my feet feel like they are simmering in hot water. Any mattress or mattress-topper that claims to shape to the form of your body just means you will have no air circulating around you and it will be too hot to get comfortable, let alone sleep. Didn't like memory foam pillows for the same reason. Tried one with the gel layer in it that I bought at Costco but I never could get used to it. The only one that stays cool for my neck and face is the My Pillow. Love that thing. 
The recommendations here for the toppers with bamboo sound like they are worth a try.