Honored Contributor

Re: NATIONAL EMERGENCY STATUS FOR VIRUS

New today, Saturday:   In addition to the travel ban from continental Europe, there will be a ban starting Monday midnight on travel from the U.K. and Ireland.  American citizens will be allowed to return of course, but will be screened and encouraged to self-quarantine upon arrival.

Honored Contributor

Also new today, Saturday:  The Task Force is now considering domestic travel restrictions (that is, within the United States).

Also, I think I heard during the presser that another privately-generated test for the virus is about to be rolled out.  Don't quote me! 

Honored Contributor

Well, we debated, but decided to skip "in person" church, and watch the service live on facebook. ( I've had a minor cough.)  There is the prohibition on gatherings-- of any kind-- of over 500 people.

Our congregation isn't that big, although we do have 2 separate services every Sunday, at 9Smiley Surprisedo and 11:00 a.m.

So people can use their discretion.  Today it was announced the 11:00 service will be cancelled until further notice, because there isn't enough time between services to clean and sanitize the church.  Smart move, I think.

It's tough to have to make these kinds of decisions about important events, but necessary.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

New today, Saturday:   In addition to the travel ban from continental Europe, there will be a ban starting Monday midnight on travel from the U.K. and Ireland.  American citizens will be allowed to return of course, but will be screened and encouraged to self-quarantine upon arrival.

@Oznell   They also cannot just pick and choose where they land here.

Only certain airports are set up to deal with American citizens returning home.

Image result for airports for americans returning

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Right, good info, @Cakers3 .  It's so helpful when people have facts to add to what we know, or think we know!

Honored Contributor

My Internet Greek Orthodox Sunday service from my parish concluded a few moments ago.  Because I fall solidly within the category (actually two categories) of those who should skip in-person attendance, I have opted to continue my church-going in this manner for the foreseeable future.

Because the audio isn't that clear from my church, I could not fully understand what our priest said about a forthcoming announcement.  I think it does have to do with restricting attendance above a certain number.  Our parish includes around 700 or more families, so I wonder if certain services will be dropped for the time being.  We are to receive a notice from the priest tonight and I'll better understand what is going on.

The faithful did line up today and accept communion from the communal cup.  There were very few in attendance, by the way. 

Coffee following the service has been suspended. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, the after-coffee thing being suspended at your church sounds sensible, @golding76 .   Even though we weren't at ours, our 20 year old son was, since he mans the technology desk that handles the visuals and audio stuff during the service.

He said the usual "meet and mingle" at the start of services has been eliminated.  No touching!  Same with the greeters at the door-- they greet you cheerfully but without a handshake.  All good, prudent steps at this time.

We're going to be informed online by Saturday afternoon every week as to what further measures might be warranted, such as temporary suspension of in-person services altogether, if need be.  We'll just roll with the punches, it is to be hoped!  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I posted this on another thread, but I"ll also put it here  since it may be applicable here.

I just checked and Italy reported its first two cases (of Chinese tourists) on Jan 30.

So if they have "done everything right" - and we clearly haven't - why are their deaths so much higher than ours.

And if they - and China - have "contained" the virus - while we - again - clearly haven't done anything right - why have their deaths spiked so much and ours really haven't?

It is because we have not gotten to the point Italy has but give it a few weeks and we will be there!

I posted before that a few weeks ago those in Italy never imagined being put on quarantine. They were not even thinkg of the coronavirus!

Now a few weeks later there have been over 1400 deaths.

That is why friends over there have been warning us not to let it get to that point here! They did not take any precations until it started escalating.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I am not clear on this and haven’t heard a answer on it. Are the hoards of people returning from a Europe all being tested?