Esteemed Contributor

Re: NATIONAL EMERGENCY STATUS FOR VIRUS

The stock market likes it...up 2,000 pts right now

Honored Contributor

They were all shaking hands. And some of them have been exposed to the virus. One guy coughed into his hand on stage and then shook hands with people. I think they need to take a class.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Wonder where Dr Redfield is?

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

What we really need - and already have for the vast majority of cases - is treatment.

If we just had a treatment that would arrest the virus in the elderly compromised before it could cause life threatening issues, that would stop the whole thing.

I'd rather see folks working on that than on testing.

@Isobel Archer there are actual trials going on with Gilead's remdesivir in WA state (where the nursing home disaster has been), at UNebraska Medical Center on some returning cruise ship passengers, and also in China, the source of the virus.  it is not known when results will be known but this drug has already cleared some regulatory hurdles due to its development for Ebola in past years. hopefully it will have some efficacy because developing a new drug takes sooooo long.

also critical is getting a safe and effective vaccine as quickly as possible before fall flu season kicks up.  there are many in trials right now.

in the meantime containment is all and everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:
How do you treat it if you don’t know what you are dealing with?

Exactly. They don't even know the exact origins of it. I've even heard them discuss it being similar to a virus bats carry. 

Honored Contributor

Seems to me like a temporary stock market goose so some folks can sell. Would love to be wrong. But I think at least some of those guys have been profiting on all the ups and downs they're creating.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@tansy wrote:

You test those presenting with symptoms - particularly the elderly.  You don't set up drive through testing centers and convince the entire population they need to be tested.

@Isobel Archer   @tansy   You can only go through the drive thru testing centers with an appointment, symptoms, and a referral from your doctor.  Gov. Cuomo was on the news this morning giving out this information.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

After the disasterous display last night you knew it was an emergency.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@tansy wrote:

You test those presenting with symptoms - particularly the elderly.  You don't set up drive through testing centers and convince the entire population they need to be tested.

Agreed that's reasonable.  Do you know if people need a referral to do the drive-through testing?  I would assume that would be the case.  The drive-through is to protect workers as well as other people.

@Isobel Archer i think we need to read the details of Google's web site that will query people for symptoms and then point them in the right direction. i assume we'll learn more Sunday night or thereafter

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@Isobel Archer   @tansy   You can only go through the drive thru testing centers with an appointment, symptoms, and a referral from your doctor.  Gov. Cuomo was on the news this morning giving out this information.

@NickNack i think people outside of NY are interested in what Google is developing in cooperation with Walmart/Walgreen's etc.  of course people with regular doctors should be going through them.