Esteemed Contributor

Re: NATIONAL EMERGENCY STATUS FOR VIRUS

@Spurt wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

OK I am clearly not a math whiz, but here goes.

The flu season began in Sep - so we are 7 months in.  Taking the minimum CDC number of 22,000 deaths - that's over 3000 per month right?

If we just count from Jan 24 - we are almost two months in to the CV and we're at 69 deaths.  If this is "exponentially" more contagious - and deadly - what's the deal here?  

OK you say - we just haven't "hit our peak" as China and Italy did.  Well China has a death toll of 3,213 - since Dec - that's still not even close to our flu deaths average  per month

Italy only has 1809 - but they are smaller than we are = 1/5 our size.  But even if they had 5 times that number of deaths - it would still be less than our monthly death toll average from flu.  And since China is quite a bit larger than we are - there's also that to factor in with their numbers.

So where is the epidemic?

@Isobel Archer  Once again, you make GREAT points!! I really pray that we DON'T see any higher numbers at all, but I totally get what you're saying. It's making me also re-think this whole thing too. Interesting. 

@BrandiDavis  @gardenman 

"They" say there was a delay in getting the testing kits so we dont know real numbers yet....

And we had several idiots that will bring up the numbers.....

We had one person in quarantine at Lackland AFB that they released after 2 tests, even though there are supposed to be 3 tests done....well the 3rd test showed she had the virus and she had gone shopping at the mall and ate at the food court....so they put her back in quarantine and shut the mall down for the day to disinfect...who knows how many people ---the workers at the mall, and other customers she infected....OUR MAYOR WAS FURIOUS!!!

Then this one---she had returned from her vacation in Spain....she was told to self quarantine, which she didnt do, she went to a Day Care and other places around town....she developed symptoms and is now in the hospital....

SMH!!!!  

With cases like these--- I can see why they are taking every precaution and why they'd rather be safe than sorry!!  We will abe able to tell more in the next couple of weeks on where we stand and if the restrictions are unnecessary..... I was like you thinking they were being overly cautious, but when a doctor said Corona is more dangerous than the flu then it had me concerned.....

There is no problem taking precautions when dealing with a new virus. 

Everything is about testing.  Had we started testing sooner, I would guess that we would have determined that many more people have had it and  recovered.  This would then make it a much less serious infection

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: NATIONAL EMERGENCY STATUS FOR VIRUS

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

OK I am clearly not a math whiz, but here goes.

The flu season began in Sep - so we are 7 months in.  Taking the minimum CDC number of 22,000 deaths - that's over 3000 per month right?

If we just count from Jan 24 - we are almost two months in to the CV and we're at 69 deaths.  If this is "exponentially" more contagious - and deadly - what's the deal here?  

OK you say - we just haven't "hit our peak" as China and Italy did.  Well China has a death toll of 3,213 - since Dec - that's still not even close to our flu deaths average  per month

Italy only has 1809 - but they are smaller than we are = 1/5 our size.  But even if they had 5 times that number of deaths - it would still be less than our monthly death toll average from flu.  And since China is quite a bit larger than we are - there's also that to factor in with their numbers.

So where is the epidemic?

@Isobel Archer  Once again, you make GREAT points!! I really pray that we DON'T see any higher numbers at all, but I totally get what you're saying. It's making me also re-think this whole thing too. Interesting. 

@BrandiDavis  @gardenman 

"They" say there was a delay in getting the testing kits so we dont know real numbers yet....

And we had several idiots that will bring up the numbers.....

We had one person in quarantine at Lackland AFB that they released after 2 tests, even though there are supposed to be 3 tests done....well the 3rd test showed she had the virus and she had gone shopping at the mall and ate at the food court....so they put her back in quarantine and shut the mall down for the day to disinfect...who knows how many people ---the workers at the mall, and other customers she infected....OUR MAYOR WAS FURIOUS!!!

Then this one---she had returned from her vacation in Spain....she was told to self quarantine, which she didnt do, she went to a Day Care and other places around town....she developed symptoms and is now in the hospital....

SMH!!!!  

With cases like these--- I can see why they are taking every precaution and why they'd rather be safe than sorry!!  We will abe able to tell more in the next couple of weeks on where we stand and if the restrictions are unnecessary..... I was like you thinking they were being overly cautious, but when a doctor said Corona is more dangerous than the flu then it had me concerned.....

There is no problem taking precautions when dealing with a new virus. 

Everything is about testing.  Had we started testing sooner, I would guess that we would have determined that many more people have had it and  recovered.  This would then make it a much less serious infection

@CrazyDaisy 

Not only that, but they are trying to prevent overloading hospitals because they dont have enough staff to handle a large number of virus cases plus people with other medical conditions that need urgent care....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”