Respected Contributor

Re: NATIONAL EMERGENCY STATUS FOR VIRUS

@on the bay wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I posted this on another thread, but I"ll also put it here  since it may be applicable here.

I just checked and Italy reported its first two cases (of Chinese tourists) on Jan 30.

So if they have "done everything right" - and we clearly haven't - why are their deaths so much higher than ours.

And if they - and China - have "contained" the virus - while we - again - clearly haven't done anything right - why have their deaths spiked so much and ours really haven't?

It is because we have not gotten to the point Italy has but give it a few weeks and we will be there!

I posted before that a few weeks ago those in Italy never imagined being put on quarantine. They were not even thinkg of the coronavirus!

Now a few weeks later there have been over 1400 deaths.

That is why friends over there have been warning us not to let it get to that point here! They did not take any precations until it started escalating.

I don't get your logic.  Italy had its first case AFTER our first case - so how could we be behind them in terms of the virus progression?   We have significantly more people than they do - they are 1/5 of our population and they have 3 times our death toll.

They quarantined before we did - so again how does your explanation make sense?

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64,  here's what I gleaned from Reuters News Service and others:

The ban on travel from Europe, the U.K. and Ireland applies to foreign nationals, and will not include returning American citizens, legal permanent residents, and foreign diplomats.  Those in that category returning here will be funneled to 13 designated airports that will use enhanced screening to determine their likelihood of infection.  They will be requested to  self-quarantine for 14 days.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the truth doesn't make you feel good. It's best not to take it personally.

If there's a lousy manager at my local Wendys, the reviews of his or her store are going to be bad. The problem isn't with the reviewers, it's with the valid complaints that should be fixed. But sure, the manager could go on Yelp or Twitter and try to argue with his or her critics, calling them names and saying they just want Wendys to fail. That never goes over well. Better to just to zip it and employ some introspection.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I think some posters on this thread have blocked out things printed and said during the last gov’t. I can’t post more but I’m sure those know what I mean.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer -

It is not my logic.

It is news reported from Italy on the timeline of when they took measures, and reports from friends in Italy now on lockdown, saying that their quarantine should have happened weeks ago, letting us know not to get to the same place as them.

I guess if anyone wants to question these reports they can. However we can look at the results in italy and see these reports of what wasn't done or done too late are true.

We all will have different takes on all the mixed messaging in our country,

and as always will do whatever we think best. i am listening to others and am not taking a "my view is right",

just really trying to listen, and make the best decision in something not experienced before, for the good of myself and others.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

@Isobel Archer -

It is not my logic.

It is news reported from Italy on the timeline of when they took measures, and reports from friends in Italy now on lockdown, saying that their quarantine should have happened weeks ago, letting us know not to get to the same place as them.

I guess if anyone wants to question these reports they can. However we can look at the results in italy and see these reports of what wasn't done or done too late are true.

We all will have different takes on all the mixed messaging in our country,

and as always will do whatever we think best. i am listening to others and am not taking a "my view is right",

just really trying to listen, and make the best decision in something not experienced before, for the good of myself and others.

My point is that whatever"timeline" Italy took - their first case was AFTER our first case and their deaths multiplied MORE than ours did BEFORE we took any strict measures.

So the fact that despite being 5 times their size in population AND doing NO widespread quarantining until last week - we STILL have 1/3 their total deaths.

So the virus is either not acting the same way here as there/is a different form of the virus/OR perhaps their medical treatment of those who are sick is not as good as ours.

In any case, claiming that we are going to "follow their pattern" and deaths will "explode" as theirs did - sometime in the future - just does not make sense because since we took much longer to quarantine than they did - and since their first case was after ours - our death toll should have ALREADY exploded and it hasn't.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer -

I do see what you are saying.

It could be as they have said, that Italy has a more older population, that in their culture they are more unlikely to forgo kissing and embraces, that they have more China led businesses and visitors, that they took less precautions too late.

However Dr. Fauci and Gupta and all other medical experts have said that we probably will have thousands of deaths and millions of those infected

that this is a real possibility, that it will escalate, thus the urgency to do what we all can now!

Of course we are all hoping that will not happen but we can do all we can to lessen it as much as possible.

I think however we interpret all the confusing info, we are all hoping for the same thing.And it is important how we all chose to deal with it.

i wish their were national clear guidlines and yes enforcements, so we all don't have to wonder or even disagree.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, someone's clear thinking has become murky.  

When one writes that one has subscribed to the Washington Post for over 40 years, that is not a political statement.  There was no link to the newspaper or anything else.

My post with that content (subscriber for 40 years ) was deleted. 

When right-thinking people are no longer rational, we have a very long road back to being the shining democracy we once were.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, Dr. Redfield from the CDC testified that posthumous testing has found that some people who officially died from pneumonia lately, actually had COVID-19.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr